Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Odd Brake Behavior  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Odd Brake Behavior
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »
I have a little over 18K on the Trophy and the front brakes have started an odd behavior.  They "grab" at very low speeds when you are using very little pressure on the lever.  Could be the linked back brake, but I don't notice as much with the pedal so I'm thinking its the front.  It happens when filtering at a light or stop sign.  For the most part that's the only time I ride slowly like that.

You can actually feel the brakes grab the rotor and then release.  I thought it might be warped rotors, but at high speed there is no pulsing with light or heavy pressure on the lever.  I checked the rotors and they move freely. Maybe the rotors have started to warp and it'll get worse?

Any ideas.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Odd Brake Behavior
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »
Any ideas.
Apart from not using the front brake at all at S L O W speeds ?

If you are only applying the front brake thent won't have anything to do with the Linked brakes,
but if you are applying the back braek with some degeree of force,
then this wil aso activate the front brake via the "linked" braking system.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:04:35 pm by Coconut »

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 06:51:54 pm »
Some owners (me included) have experienced uneven wear among the four front pads.  One pad wears a lot faster than the rest.  Is it possible this pad on your bike is down to metal?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:15:29 pm »
First thing I would do is take you pads out and check for uneven wear.  If wearing even the I would still rough them up with some sandpaper and bed them in again.  While the pads were out I'd take the time to check the rotors for being out of round.  A small warpage isn't necessarily noticeable at high speed.  It may be disguised by road surface unevenness and speed.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:44:47 am »
Grabbing at low speed can also be related to the bobbins used to float the disk. I had this problem from day one on my BMW RT.
Serial BMW rider

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:40:43 am »
azgman
What was the solution on the bobbin issue if there was one?  I cleaned and freed mine up recently, but I haven't experienced any brake problems, it was a preventive maintentance thing.  I have noticed though, with it sitting on the center stand, that you can turn the front wheel one direction and some of the bobbins can be rotated by hand, but it you turn the wheel the opposite direction they are tight and cannot be moved and other tight bobbins can be rotated.  VERRRRRRY INTERRRESTING, as Sgt Schultz would say.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 02:24:40 am »
*Originally Posted by triucati [+]
Some owners (me included) have experienced uneven wear among the four front pads.  One pad wears a lot faster than the rest.  Is it possible this pad on your bike is down to metal?

I've inspected the pads while on the bike and they appear good, showing little of the wear I expected.  I'll pull them this weekend for a better inspection. 

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 02:25:34 am »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
First thing I would do is take you pads out and check for uneven wear.  If wearing even the I would still rough them up with some sandpaper and bed them in again.  While the pads were out I'd take the time to check the rotors for being out of round.  A small warpage isn't necessarily noticeable at high speed.  It may be disguised by road surface unevenness and speed.

That's the minimum I'll do.

tweedy-bunch