Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Need help with blowing heated grip fuse.  (Read 12163 times)

Offline flyingz06

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Indiana
Need help with blowing heated grip fuse.
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:49:33 am »
No problems since I bought it.  But since dealer put in a new bolt for my battery on the negative terminal (because I added GPS and hyperlights and stock bolt was too short), Ive blown the fuze 2 times.  I turns on fine, reads on display and then eventually blows the fuse.   Oh and after it blows, it makes the display for the heated seat go off if I turn on grips.  Turn off grips, heated seat display back on.

I undid the negative terminal bolt and loosened wires and re bolted back in.

Any ideas before I run it 90 mins to the dealer?????

Thanks!!!!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Need help with blowing heated grip fuse.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 01:32:05 am »
Do you happen to have  a voltmeter?  You may be able to troubleshoot this with a voltmeter.  Since the weather has warmed though, and the dealer was the last person to have their hands on anything electrical, I would call them and take it back and have them find it.  I wouldn't turn them on until I got it there to avoid the possiblity of a serious problem.  My ride to my dealer is more than an hour each way so I understand the problem.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline flyingz06

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:52:18 am »
no voltmeter but i have access to one.  Would i place the tip in the socket where the fuse goes?

Yes i called dealer and he said bring it in......  UGH!!!!

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:35 am »
I don't think this will be anything to do with the Battery connections, unless the mechanic
tugged on the wiring up to either of the Heated Grips while he was doing the work  :084:

There have beeen cases reported of the Heated Grips failing due to the wiring getting "chafed"
where it enters the Heated Grip at the handlebar due a sharp edge.

The wire insulation could have worn through causing a short circuit which will blow the fuse.

Underneath the glove box are the two plug in connectors for the Heated Grips -
try unplugging one or the other to see if the fuse still blows -
If it doesn't blow when one side is unplugged that is the faulty circuit :169:

If it DOES turn out to be this - make sure that after the wiring has been repaired,
any sharp edges are smoothed off so it doesn't happen again !

Let us know how you get on  :028:

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »
I applied some heat shrink tubing on the grip wires when I installed the heated grips in order to provide more abrasion resistance. I believe DonTom did the same after finding a chaffed wire.
Serial BMW rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:57:47 pm »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
Do you happen to have  a voltmeter?  You may be able to troubleshoot this with a voltmeter.  Since the weather has warmed though, and the dealer was the last person to have their hands on anything electrical, I would call them and take it back and have them find it.  I wouldn't turn them on until I got it there to avoid the possiblity of a serious problem.  My ride to my dealer is more than an hour each way so I understand the problem.
I  side with trophied on this one.  I think a multimeter/voltmeter will help you isolate the problem but if that thing is under warranty I'd have the dealer do the repair.  My philosophy is that is something is covered by warranty I have the dealer do the repair, even if I know I can do it as well or better.  Because I don't want to give anyone any excuse for claiming I impaired the warranty in any manner.  This of course does not apply to regular maintenance.  And of course as soon as the warranty is over I do all my own work.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:16:01 pm »
Given the dealer I have and the confidence I have in their employees I will always give them the first call for advice and the opportunity to fix whatever the problem is.  I must say the relationship I have with my dealer does not appear to be the norm, but these guys are great on BMW's and Triumphs and I trust them to treat me fairly and honestly as they always have in the past.  I have not even bought all my motorcycles from them.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline flyingz06

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:06:09 am »
Ok Coconut, I removed the glove box on the left side.  Don't see 2 plugs.   What am i looking for???

*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
I don't think this will be anything to do with the Battery connections, unless the mechanic
tugged on the wiring up to either of the Heated Grips while he was doing the work  :084:

There have beeen cases reported of the Heated Grips failing due to the wiring getting "chafed"
where it enters the Heated Grip at the handlebar due a sharp edge.

The wire insulation could have worn through causing a short circuit which will blow the fuse.

Underneath the glove box are the two plug in connectors for the Heated Grips -
try unplugging one or the other to see if the fuse still blows -
If it doesn't blow when one side is unplugged that is the faulty circuit :169:

If it DOES turn out to be this - make sure that after the wiring has been repaired,
any sharp edges are smoothed off so it doesn't happen again !

Let us know how you get on  :028: