Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy review - good impressions and a comparison  (Read 5953 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200SE
  • City / Town: Shrewsbury
Trophy review - good impressions and a comparison
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:29:31 pm »
Iíve had my new Trophy for about 3 weeks now and having had the old Trophy (1999 1200 version) beforehand for 10 years I reckon Iím in a fair position to give a comparison.

Handling Ė Despite being some 40kg heavier the centre of gravity is lower on the new Trophy and frankly Iím amazed at how I can throw it around. Confidence growing daily.

Ergonomics Ė Iím 5ft 11 inches and with the seat set on the lower position I find it perfect for me. I have adjusted the handlebar levers a little. This is very individual I appreciate.

Fuel consumption Ė If I got 33-35mpg  out of my old Trophy (which ran well I must add) I was doing well. A tank lasted about 180 miles before reserve, but if I piled on the speed I could literally watch the gauge go down. Despite being 40kg heavier and about 30 BHP more powerful Iím getting 250 miles approx so far per tank and probably more to come. Well done Triumph.

Cruise Control Ė Iím no Luddite, but I admit to being sceptical about it, that is until I played around with it a few times and now Iím a convert. Fantastic on motorways and in particular in road works where there are extended distances covered by average speed cameras. I do find I have to reach across to press the 'set' button with my left hand though. Anyone else find this? :001: :001:

Electric screen Ė How did I ever manage before Ė oh yes, I cooked in the summer and gazed through the grime in the winter.

Aftermarket addition Ė Iíve added a side stand enlarger Ė see mods section, a DIY rear mud flap made out of 2 vinyl floor tiles for the princely sum of £1.20. I fabricated and fitted an exhaust guard and radiator guard from some aluminium mesh and car body trim protector all for about £20. Thank you to the forum members for the idea and hints and tips. I invested in a Powerbronze hugger to protect the rear end and yes, I also had to bend the bracket carefully in a vice to get it to sit correctly over the wheel.   Iíve just received 2 very nice vinyl Triumph stickers in white about 20cm long, to go on the tank. Canít decide whether to put them immediately underneath and in line with the Trophy SE badge or to place more horizontally. Iím aware thereís been a thread on this a little while ago, but donít know of the outcome, so if anyone has done this could they please post a picture.

The picture of my Trophy was taken outside the National Motorcycle Museum in the East Midlands of the UK. A purely self indulgent day out, but worth every penny. Some beautifully restored machines from across the ages.
Lambretta LI 150, Triumph Tiger Cub, Honda C70, Honda CB175, CB125 Twin, CB250, CB500, CB550, Suzuki 400, Kawasaki Z400 and a BMW R90/6, Kawasaki GT550, Triumph Daytona 900, Triumph Trophy1200, Triumph Trophy 1215 SE

Offline Thunderbird2010

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Courtice, ONT
Re: Trophy review - good impressions and a comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:30 pm »
good review--- i would agree with all of it....

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:33:18 pm »
 :400: BikerBob and  :821:.

Nice report, thanks for sharing.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Mikeinnj

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:27:43 pm »
Congrats!

Offline Mikeinnj

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:27:56 pm »
Congrats!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:34:14 pm »
Hi bob... A good write up and I would agree with all you say. Especially the cruise control bit, like you I find it easier to set with my left hand.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:44:38 pm »
Good assessment.  :047:
It wasn't me !!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:51:09 pm »
Great assessment.  Really appreciate it.  I've never ridden the older Trophy but have thought them a beautiful bike ever since I met up with a fellow on a BRG Trophy near St. James Square.  We had a very pleasant talk and he even offered me a ride.  Unfortunately I was wearing a suit and tie and on my way to a dinner meeting. Likely I'll never have a chance like that again.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST