Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: low PSI reading for the rear tire  (Read 8580 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
low PSI reading for the rear tire
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:08 am »
Hi Gents,

Went for a ride today.   I rode for about 25 minutes and stopped at a local Crawfish boil (Louisiana) for about 1 hour.  When I started my bike I noticed a low PSI reading for the rear tire.  I knew we were going to stop for petrol in five miles.   By the time I got to the fueling point the message was gone.   However, after we started back up it came on again-then went off after I turned up the volume on the radio;    about an hour later we stopped at a watering hole and I turned my bike off and let the tires cool down.  I came out after a time and checked the rear tire - the PSI was 42.    So, I let it go.   On the way home it lit up again-then went off again.

I read other posts they focus on the battery.  This is the PSI reading.  Anyone have a similar experience?
Big Country

Offline GolforRide

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Coquitlam
Re: low PSI reading for the rear tire
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 03:44:54 am »
My 2013 started doing the same thing this week  the psi is 42 on the rear I believe that is acceptable
I was probably 50 km away from the closest gas station so it definitely has my attention going to buy a pump whigh  will run on the bike battery just in case
Please take my opinion, I'm not using it!!!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:26:47 am »
Never had this particular issue but I have found my TPMS to be very sensitive. If pressure drops to 40 the light comes on. Went to bed one warm 80+F night  in Arkansas and the next morning temp had fallen to 50F. The low pressure light stayed on until I could find a service station
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:01:41 am »
I as a lot of guys carry a small compressor that runs from the side adaptor or the top box. This got me out of trouble when I too stopped for lunch came out and within 100yds the Red Low warning came on the rear indicating 36psi. Stopped and checked the rear tyre to find a small nail in the centre of the tyre. Typical raining day decided to leave the nail in and pumped up the tyre. Road it home on the Pressure sensor reading. Stayed at 44psi.

Next day did a puncture repair with the sticky worm kit.

The small compressor and the puncture kit is a well worth addition to the top box. :002:

seadog
seadog

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:50:04 am »
Nice one  :028:

Are you going to have t professionally repaired, or replace the tyre,
or are you going to keep running it on the "worm" repair ?

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:06 pm »
I doubt you will find a tyre shop in the UK who will repair it... It is against the law I believe... At least that is the response I got from the half dozen or so shops I tried when I had a puncture and as they all gave the same answer independently I guess I have to believe it!

That said I ran with my own 'sticky worm' repair until just before I was going on a big trip and had no issues what so ever.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
I have a pump (harbor frieght special-but it works just fine) .   I will check both tires after work.  So, are you saying 39 front/42 rear.  That's  what I'm keeping it at.   I wonder if the setting, one rider, is firing this off.  I weigh 260 and I carry a pretty good amount of gear with me(tools, rain gear, and other things).  Maybe I should set it at one with luggage, or two riders?   Sound silly I know and I realize there is probably no relation.  I guess I'm puling at straws because I don't want to take it in for service.   Oh, I love this bike:)
Big Country

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »
I had the tyre replaced after about 300mile. As I too was going on a longer holiday trip.

Also like Big country I carry spare tools, First aid, compressor and Puncture kit. I ride alone so run 1 up and luggage in sport mode all the time. Had no problems with handling. Tyre pressures as recommended F36 R42.

seadog
seadog

tweedy-bunch