Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Garmin 660 Outgoing Calls  (Read 5222 times)

Offline MikeDH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vienna
Garmin 660 Outgoing Calls
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:32 pm »
I recently picked up a Garmin 660 and have it hardwired to my 2013 TTSE. I also connected it via bluetooth to my phone (Galaxy S4), and have my Sena SMH-10 connected to the bike via bluetooth as Headset One. As others have reported, with this arrangement I can place outgoing calls and hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me. Has anyone managed to make this setup work so that both parties can hear each other. If so, what phone are you using?
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Albert Einstein

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Garmin 660 Outgoing Calls
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:18:43 pm »
I have a Garmin 590 wired into my TTSE and an iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5 is plugged into the USB in the glove box and music is coming through from the iPhone to the Trophy Audio system.

The iPhone is Bluetooth paired to the Garmin 590 as a phone. The 590 then has a second Bluetooth channel for headset which I have paired to the Bluetooth module in my Autocom Logic L1 system.

Incoming calls show on the Garmin 590 screen with caller ID and a button to accept or reject. I can look up numbers from my iPhone contact list via the Garmin 590 and initiate a call, even while moving if I really need to and it is safe to do so. The 590 also gives a quick list of the last 4 numbers used which is usually adequate for my needs.

I don't know if this will help with the 660 configuration but certainly if the 660 also has 2 Bluetooth connections it should.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline AnonymousBiker

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:01 pm »
MikeDH:

I have almost the same set-up. However, my phone is a Motorola Photon Q. The 660 is wired to the bike, the phone is paired with the Garmin and the bike. The headset is paired with the bike as Headset One.

I can receive calls and make them through the Garmin. I can dial directly or use my phone book from the Garmin screen. When I tested it by calling home and leaving a message, the volume on the recording was not very loud, but I could be heard.
2013 Triumph Trophy

Offline MikeDH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vienna
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Cropbiker - I believe the 660 is able to pair both a phone and an audio device so I assume that means it has two bluetooth channels. But I suspect your setup won't work for me since my Android phone won't work in the USB port in the glovebox (I have an iPod in there now). So I either have to connect my phone to the bike via bluetooth or to the Garmin via bluetooth, but I can't do both (since I'm pretty sure my phone can only connect to one bluetooth device at a time). I may try pairing the phone to the 660 and the headset to both the bike and the 660. The SMH-10 allows for multi-point pairing so I'll give that a try.

TnMtnBiker - Can you connect your phone to both the 660 and the bike via bluetooth at the same time. I don't think my S4 can do that. I may need to consider switching phones if I want this functionality.

Thanks again for the replies.
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Albert Einstein

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:22:58 am »
No problem.... Hope our input points you in the right direction for your solution.

In my opinion the Bluetooth implementation for the Trophy is one of the poorest designed features, it does not appear to work consistently. I know there are lots of permutations of phones and headsets and GPS units but frankly Bluetooth is supposed to be an open standard and should not cause these problems.

I think Triumph could do themselves a lot of favours and additional profits too probably by making the audio system a full intercom too and provide sockets for 2 wired headsets for rider and pillion. I detest Bluetooth it is so flaky and let's you down and runs out of battery all the time. Not too mention they are all very clunky lumps stuck on the side of your helmet!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:00:01 am »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
No problem.... Hope our input points you in the right direction for your solution.

In my opinion the Bluetooth implementation for the Trophy is one of the poorest designed features, it does not appear to work consistently. I know there are lots of permutations of phones and headsets and GPS units but frankly Bluetooth is supposed to be an open standard and should not cause these problems.

I think Triumph could do themselves a lot of favours and additional profits too probably by making the audio system a full intercom too and provide sockets for 2 wired headsets for rider and pillion. I detest Bluetooth it is so flaky and let's you down and runs out of battery all the time. Not too mention they are all very clunky lumps stuck on the side of your helmet!

I can tell you that my bluetooth works perfectly so it is disappointing to hear of your experience. I have my phone paired to the Trophy and also have my Sena paired to the Trophy. This works well, although I cannot make outgoing calls only answer incoming ones, but I really don't want to while I am riding. I have a Garmin 665 hard wired and also use a 16GB USB memory stick for music or on occasion I stream music from my phone. 
Serial BMW rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:17:34 am »
The Zumo 660 IS capable of Pairing to a Phone and a "headset" at the same time,
but the Instructions are not clear as to whether it will pair to a Phone and another "Device" at the same time :

Try this :

Pair your Helmet Headset to the Trophy by Bluetooth as HEADSET 1

Pair your Zumo 660 to the Trophy by Bluetooth as DEVICE 1

Pair your Phone to the Zumo

Test it !

Cheers  :821:

Offline AnonymousBiker

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »
MikeDH:

Yes, my phone pairs to the bike and Garmin at the same time. I listen to Pandora from my phone through the bike to the headset. Then when a call comes in, the music stops and I see the call on the Garmin screen.
2013 Triumph Trophy

tweedy-bunch