Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Steering head bearing  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Ian

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
Steering head bearing
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:27:49 am »
Does any one know what type steering head bearing is fitted to the TT?  I'm getting a front fork service done soon, if the bike didn't already have one I was thinking of getting a tapered roller bearing fitted at the same time.  Also, I have some lateral movement in the rear wheel ( pulled side to side when on centre stand). Dealer tells me that is normal and that bmw has the same movement?  is it normal for the TT?  I still love the bike, even with,the issues it has had. 

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Steering head bearing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:30:42 am »
*Originally Posted by Ian [+]
Does any one know what type steering head bearing is fitted to the TT?  I'm getting a front fork service done soon, if the bike didn't already have one I was thinking of getting a tapered roller bearing fitted at the same time.
I have yet to see a motorcycle yet that didn't use two tapered roller bearings for the steering. Even my 1971 BMW has such. One upper and one lower. I decided to change them when they got 40 years old, but only because I was working in that area when I rebuilt both the forks.

And if the TTSE has  anything else, I wouldn't consider changing it, unless you strongly believe you know more than those who designed the bike when it comes to such safety stuff. The bike should handle fine with stock parts. If it doesn't, find out what is wrong. Don't try to fix it by redesigning the bike!

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline fnhead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southside of Capones
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:33:39 am »
Most Hondas come with non tapered bearings...
HEAD
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:04:59 am »
*Originally Posted by fnhead [+]
Most Hondas come with non tapered bearings...
I have not owed a Honda since 1968 (1968 Honda CL350). And never had that one apart.

But I assumed these days, they were all tapered. I also changed them in my 84 Yamaha  Venture when I did the fork work. Again, just because I was in there. I think they normally last the life of the bikes--and then some.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Ian

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:38:37 am »
I asked the question as my 2009 GL 1800 had very poor quality steering head bearings and benefited a great deal from swapping them out with tapered roller bearings.   It was a known 'fix' on the GL forum for bar shake and instability.  As I was going to have the forks out on my TT for a service it would have been a good time to change the bearing if it was worthwhile.  Where I live the roads are fairly rough and the suspension etc gets a good work.

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:44 am »
The OEM steering head bearings of TT are similar in type (caged ball) and size (30x55x17) in several Triumphs such as Explorer, Tiger Sport, Sprint ST.
See part 21 here
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100061330-3-2&block_03=621900
I changed to tapered roller type bearings on my Explorer and my sons ST

2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
2016 Bonneville T120 Black

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mustangpilot [+]
The OEM steering head bearings of TT are similar in type (caged ball) and size (30x55x17) in several Triumphs such as Explorer, Tiger Sport, Sprint ST.
See part 21 here
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100061330-3-2&block_03=621900
I changed to tapered roller type bearings on my Explorer and my sons ST

and the difference was?

Just curious as it appears a big 'ish job when my bike handles great.  Just curious

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:00:25 pm »
I too had a GL1800 and the bearings were a known issue. With that being said, That's definitely not the case with the TT as you can tell from the posts on this forum, handling is one of the strong points of the TT with no known handling issues other than with low tire pressures on the front wheel. When I first got my TT, I thought I had a issue with the front end during long sweeping turns, but that was correct by adding 1.5 lbs of air to the front tire. I don't think there is any need to change the steering head bearings on the TT since there are no know issues.

tweedy-bunch