Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS error but NOT low pressure  (Read 4689 times)

Offline MooMoo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, FL
TPMS error but NOT low pressure
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:14:05 pm »
I have been getting the TPMS (red) light on the dash and the center dash will display the tire pressures, as it should.  However, I am not seeing any error message in bottom of the dash and both pressure readings are good.  The red warning light will go out after about a minuite or less.  Has anyone else seen this issue?  I have had the bike since Nov. but only recently had the TPMS activated.  Dealer did not do it when it was new.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: TPMS error but NOT low pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:45 pm »
Got this from the manual

The tire pressure at which the warning light
illuminates is temperature compensated to
68°F (20°C) but the numeric pressure display
associated with it is not (see page 144). Even
if the numeric display seems at or close to the
standard tire pressure when the warning light
is on, a low tire pressure is indicated and a
puncture is the most likely cause.

Offline MooMoo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:00:11 pm »
That makes some sense but I am not getting a low pressure warning.  I'm just getting the red TPMS warning light on the speedo dial and the pressures will display on the information screen.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:39:40 pm »
I think that is what it is saying the light might come on as iI is compensated with temperature where as the display isn't.  Meaning the pressure might be calculated low but show OK.  I think for example it realises the pressure rises with temperature so let's say it is showing 36 which is OK but the tyre temp is hot say 40 deg c it calculates at 20 it would be 33 which is not OK?  Or something like that.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:04:19 pm »
It means you are running at the lower end of the pressure rating of the tpms. If the tire is really a couple of pounds low at start, once the tires heat up the pressure will rise and clear the fault. You really need to check your tire pressures with a good manual gauge and probably raise the pressure up a couple of pounds and you will not get the warning any more. You should be running roughly 36-37 cold in the front tires and 40-42 in the rear. I find that when I have 36 on my manual gauge that it will show 37 on my dash when it first comes on. So I'd be willing to bet that you are actually lower than that on one of your tires.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:07:46 pm by atvtinker »
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:30:12 am »
... both pressure readings are good ...
What are those"good" figures - When first diplayed affter you move off, front & rear,
and after running for a good few miles and the tires have warmed up ?

If the red TPMS warning lamp is coming on with no accopmanying error / information messages in the Display,
then there may be a fault with the system that needs to be investigated by your Dealer.

Have you checked to see if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) stored ?

You can find out how to check for these and display them on your Instrument Panel here :
Servicing Data and Reference Information

At the bottom of of Reply #8 there is a "Word" document that you can download
and use to find out the meaning of any stored DTC's.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:23:14 pm »
While my monitors seem to be very close to the same as 2 gauges I use, I would rather rely on the gauge for a cold pressure setting.  I have had one gauge go severely wrong though and fortunately caught it on the cage vehicle, without having used it on the bike.  It pays to check gauges!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline MooMoo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:03:46 pm »
Well maybe it does have something to do with the outside temp, as well.  This morning on the way to work, it came on but I did see the rear low pressure warning this time.  It was only on for a fraction of a second but the red light stayed on a bit longer. The other times it came on I did not see any warning and tires were warmed up.  I have about a 25 mile ride to work and it would come on as I was pulling into work.  Maybe it gave me a warning message and I just missed it.  I will try to put a shot of air in it to see if that makes a difference.  I was going to do that yesterday but I could not  find my gauge.  I need to clean out the garage but that is another story.

tweedy-bunch