Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Advanced Training  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Trixies dad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Didcot
Advanced Training
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:32:28 pm »
Hello fellas ..

Having read a few other posts it appears there's some riders in here with differing degree's of advanced riding hence the following question ..

So I've been riding for almost 20 yrs, everything from 125's up to my beloved Trixie .. and every thing from adventure bikes, naked and full faired to a good bit of off road .. Now here's the interesting bit, I passed my test in 95 then due to my own stupidity lost it in 03 .. I moved to the US in 07 and have been riding there ever since .. I've just moved back to the UK and re-taken my test on Trixie no less .. so I now have a full GB license again ..
So .. I'd like to volunteer with the blood bikes and understand an advanced riding qualification is needed .. How or what is the best way to go about this .. which organization should I look at .. Thanks in advance, apologies for the long winded explanation. :431:

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
Re: Advanced Training
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:40 pm »
Dad

There are two options. The IAM and Rospra. Either of each would be a requirement for the blood bikes. I am a National Observer with the IAM and a local observer assessor. I chose the IAM route as we have a strong group in Devon (DAM). I would recommend that you research both groups locally to you to identify the best fit for you.

Main difference IAM is a one off test and you can con on with things like the Masters. ROSPRA you retest every three years. Cost of the IAM skills for life is £145 and whatever the local group do in terms of Observer expenses.

Search the two on the websites and if you want more info PM me.

It wasn't me !!

Offline Trixies dad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:09:07 pm »
 Thanks for the info .. I do seem to come across more people who've gone down the IAM route, all speak highly .. I shall look into that group .. hopefully they'll be a group in the Oxfordshire area ..

Cheers mate  :152:

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:46:54 pm »
Dad,

I have been riding from the age of sixteen and passed my basic test in 1970.   Been on and off all sorts of bikes since.   I took the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists (IAM) in 2003 and became a group Observer in 2007.  I took my Rospa test in 2013 and got gold.   Every year since 2001 I have attended the Metropolitan Police Bikesafe course and will probably continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  You should never stop learning. 

My IAM and RoSPA groups, both based in Chelmsford, UK, are very similar.  We usually have a theory night once a month with training rides twice a month.   Plus Social rides nearly every weekend.   

With the IAM you take the course, pass your test and enjoy the social side of the group.   The test is either pass or fail.   You are not necessary told how well you have done so you don't know if you just managed to scrap through or got 100%.   With RoSPA you are awarded Bronze, Silver or Gold.  And there is a retest every three years.   

It is all about looking and recognising hazards and knowing how to avoid them.  Sounds obvious but remarkably we humans some how manage to teach ourselves to ignore hazards.   Which ever route you choose you will learn a great deal.  And, if you are like me, you will enjoy your riding even more having got through the course. 

Good luck.    Freeway Phil

Offline Trixies dad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:34:39 pm »
Thanks Phil.. Even more good information... Certainly my riding has improved over the years getting rid of my youthful exuberance and learning to look so much further in front but I really do like the idea of progressing further and it seems either group would suffice.. I must say I do like the thought of knowing just how good/bad my test ride was.. Gives a marker point for reference.. Thanks again Ces

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:24:47 am »
More good information for you from Phil. Also additional to the Bronze, silver and Gold graing from ROSPRA the IAM do in fact grade.

You  should ask (WE DO) for a copy of the test sheet, which is marked on individual elements. 4 being poor and 1 walk on water. If you achieve 1 in all categories then you are awarded a F1rst pass and recoded on the IAM register as such. Following the test you could go and do your masters as well.

Look at the IAM website, find your local group and have a look at their site. As Phil says we al do training nights and so forth. We are also doing an I care course, 4 skills days (1 for Ladies) and other activities such as slow riding workshops.

You pays yer money and take yer choice.
It wasn't me !!

Offline Trixies dad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:37:11 am »
 :138: Damn you fellas .. just as I start leaning to one side, you go and even it up again . :017:.. I do know there's a IAM in Oxford so perhaps I'll give them a shout . .  Either way I'm looking forward to the training .. I shall keep you all posted.

Once again fellas .. thank you Ces   :152:

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 08:08:14 am »
In general, either group is good and I am sure you will enjoy the experience, the people are generally a good bunch of like minded folk and the group's Committees are, in my experience, hard working guys and girls whose main concern is having a keeping safe and having a bit of fun at the same time.     

I guess the best thing to do would be for you to sign up to either one, IAM or RoSPA, and once you pass the first course, give it a year or so and undertake the other course.  Get the best f both worlds and although it will cost a little more, your safety is priceless.   (plus you get another sticker for your bike to show off  :745:)

Most groups allow you to attend on a social bases for a couple of weeks / months to see how you like it.  Go along to their social meeting and have a chat with the guys.   Then decide.

Whichever route you choose, don't forget to inform your insurance company that you have passed done the course and claim your discount off the premium.  :028:

Freeway Phil