Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TomTom Rider Street Number Question  (Read 1951 times)

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
TomTom Rider Street Number Question
« on: April 27, 2015, 06:34:37 pm »
I just got my hands on a TomTom Rider being an exclusive Garmin user up to this point.  I've looked and Googled to find out the answer to a street address question to no avail.  All I want to do is enter a street or house number with more than 4 digits  (e.g, 11250 Greenfield Ave.) but the TomTom will not allow more than 4 (can only enter 1125).  Is this normal?  Any way around this issue?   

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: TomTom Rider Street Number Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:11 pm »
I think the only way round this would be to go back to using the superior Garmin equipment!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:44:32 pm »
I'll probably use the TomTom on my other bikes once I get a Garmin for the Trophy. I know the TomTom was developed in Europe but I can't believe there are no street addresses in Europe that have no more than 4 digits.  I must be missing something.  Any TomTom users out there?

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 12:01:43 am »
I just tried to enter our old address in Houston on my Tom Tom Go 730 and it would not accept it, then it dawned on me that it was a Spring address not Houston.  It took the 5 digit street number with no issues.  Bear in mind this is an old automotive unit and I only keep it and use so we can take to Europe when we go over there because it has European maps on it as well as North America. 
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:19:27 am »
I found I could enter a street number with more than 4 digits.  The TomTom Rider is smarter than me in knowing what numbers are available on a certain street name.  When I typed a few letters, suggestions for street names came up - I chose too soon and selected "Blue Mound Ave"  instead of continuing to type in "Bluemound Ave" as a continuous street name.  "Blue Mound Ave" only had street numbers between 1100 and 5599 where "Bluemound Ave" could have values with 5 digits such as 11254.  Just part of the learning process.  Looks like it has a lot of features beyond the Garmin Nuvi I was using which was never intended for motorcycle use.  I saw on TomTom's website of a new version of the Rider GPS with a bigger screen and more features.  It doesn't look like it has been released in the US yet but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Garmin 590LM.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:27 am »
I know the Tom Tom works well in England, and has kept us from operating outside the law in a rental car.  Yes it does know what adress ranges are available on various streets, but I think most GPS's do.  I had a not so pleasant experience with a Street Pilot years ago that Garmin was never able to solve and it ended up being useless with no help from Garmin.  That was a total loss of money spent on it and I haven't been a big fan since.  I did have one on my K1600 that was OK though.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch