Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: used trophys  (Read 6387 times)

Offline steve59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06R3/13 s3 se
  • City / Town: Carol Stream
used trophys
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »
 Last year I bought a 2013 Speed triple se new. I love the way it rides but it is utterly useless to me. the lack of wind protection wears out my pampered a**, so i'm trading it on either a Trophy or R3t. Since I aready have a R3s I would prefer getting a mildly used Trophy. I haven't yet because 1. they're $$$ 2. there's so many 13's coming back on the market i'm starting to think there's something wrong with it. 3. It's new and I read about a lot of down time while shops try and figure out what's going on.
  I took 1 for a demo with my wife and she wanted me to trade both my bikes right there for it. I like my R3 waaay to much to not have one and I like the electronic package on the trophy compared to the R3t.  So, i'm either trading/selling both my bikes and getting an R3t or keeping my 06 R3 and trading my S3 se with a wheel barrel full of dollars for a Trophy. Does anybody here think having a trophy in the garage would make the R3 collect dust? anybody here trade their rocket for a trophy and not look back? This will likely be my last major purchase of the fun kind so all input is appreciated. also is there much difference between the 13-14-15 model year?

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: used trophys
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:22:32 pm »
There definitely were some teething pains before 2014, that said, everything can be sorted out with an early model. My 2014 has been flawless thus far, and I really like it more than anything I've owned thus far.

I tour and commute on the Trophy, but I'm not sure I would do a track day with it. My wife definitely likes the pillion accommodations.

Happy wife, happy life...

:821:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:26:09 pm by azgman »
Serial BMW rider

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:57:11 am »
I picked mine up in November 2013, and it was just at the end of the VIN range for the ECU replacement. The bike did start to play up at 13,000kms before the ecu was replaced. I now have 70,000kms on it. Nothing else has needed to be done, and it goes great. Tyres wear out though, and I stick to the 16,000kms minor service interval and 32,000kms main service interval. Valve clearances were adjust at the first 32K service.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:13 am »
I bought a '12 TTSE in January with only 8.5K Miles on it - because I didn't want to miss-out on the experience of owning one.
The price of the Used TT's was down at a level I could afford.

Best bike I've ever owned, period.

I'm retired, so don't commute. I won't be doing any long tours on it very often. I'll not be doing Track days. It is perfectly manageable package for everyday riding, in my humble opinion. If you don't need the luggage then leave it at home.

My Used TTSE had all the recalls done before I bought it and since "I've had the pleasure" the Front Discs have been replaced under Warranty, which for my bike runs out in August.
I am seriously thinking of extending the Warranty as I think I'll be owning this bike for many years to come.

I know of at least one member of this Forum who traded in his '13 TTSE for a '15 TTSE because he wanted to try the New Colour....
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:05:08 pm »
Any used 2013 is probably sorted out, and if not, there's a good chance it is still under warranty.  I think the earliest service date in the US was Jan 2013, so the two year warranties are just expiring.  I got a good buy on mine, paid $13,500 in September of 2013 with only 3000 miles on it.  I had lots of problems with it, but eventually it was all sorted out under warranty.  It's been reliable since about April of last year so I think all is good now.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:12:38 pm »
I suppose it is possible but it seems highly unlikely that a Triumph dealer would sell a used 2013 Trophy that hasn't already had all the recalls and TSBs done on it.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline steve59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06R3/13 s3 se
  • City / Town: Carol Stream
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:52:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply's i'm figuring out the logical way to purchase one 1100 miles away right now. The price is right, I just need cheap fare, it's a low mile 2013 owner says all the recalls are done and his price is fair.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 01:58:08 am »
*Originally Posted by steve59 [+]
Thanks for the reply's i'm figuring out the logical way to purchase one 1100 miles away right now. The price is right, I just need cheap fare, it's a low mile 2013 owner says all the recalls are done and his price is fair.
Not to nitpick on words(even though that is my profession) but make sure that when the owner uses the word recall that the word includes all TSBs and other notices. There were several issues with the bike that did not rise to the level of recall but still created quite a few problems.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch