Check & Adjust the Headstock Bearing - Video Guide by Novocastrian
[Today at 09:25:15 am]

Heated low rider seat by RedMerle
[Today at 07:04:42 am]

Fourth Gear All-Time? by LarryJa
[Yesterday at 10:35:04 pm]

Suspension Upgrades,What Have You Done? by mznyc
[Yesterday at 08:47:52 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lazer Monaco Carbon Fiber Modular Helmet Quick Review  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Lazer Monaco Carbon Fiber Modular Helmet Quick Review
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:05:13 am »
Another member here on the forum asked me about this helmet, so I thought I'd do a quick review.
Well, to start out, I'm a little disappointed with this helmet. I've actually had the helmet for almost a year, but for several reasons, I haven't used it much. I got a great deal on the Lazer helmet because I won it at a charity auction for $250.00 US, at the time they were retailing for almost $600. Now I think they are down to $350. to $400 US. I more often use my Scorpion EXO 900X which replaced my EXO 900 (both modular) a few months back.

PRO's & CON's

Very light weight, the lightest helmet That I've ever had or even seen.

Quick release European style chin strap. Makes putting on or taking off the helmet very fast, but there is also a con here. The remainder of the strap doesn't have a snap or buckle to tuck away into, so it flops around in the wind and even bangs against the lower helmet at speed. The first time this happened, I thought I was losing my face shield. You can always tuck it in under the chin strap, which is what I do but then you feel it there, just a comfort issue. With that being said, the quick release and quick attach make it much faster and easier and I still like it.

Great air flow with good venting, probably one of the best that I've experienced. Con, when it rains it leaks in the front vent located at the top front of the helmet. It does close, but it still leaks.

Photochromic Pinlock face shield works great. It darkens automatically in the sunlight and goes clear as the sun goes away. I still like the interior flip down sun visor on my Scorpion helmets better. Since I'm in hot humid Florida, I ride mostly with my face shield (not chin bar) in the up position and the sun visor in the down position for better air flow and still have eye protection from debris and bugs. Really not a problem with the protection that our Trophys windscreen offers.

Fit. This is a problem area with me and some others who own this helmet. The design of the helmet fits small. I wear an XL in most helmets, this Lazer is an XL and the fit is very very tight. Its mostly the cheek pad and ears area. Since modular helmets have the flip up chin bar, they tend to be wider than a full face helmet. It seems that in their attempt to keep the Monaco slim streamline looking, they brought that area of the helmet inwards. It really squeezes the jaw bone and cheek area. I have a round head and face, so I would imagine that if you have an elongated head and face, it might not be a problem. It fit snug when I bought it, thinking it would just break in, not a chance.

Noise, its just as noisy as any other modular helmet that I've owned, and its about the same as my two Scorpion modular helmets. My quest for a quieter modular will continue.

Overall:
I think the concept is great, this carbon fiber helmet offers a lot. The light airy feeling of this helmet is like nothing else that I've experienced with it being so light weight. But, it has a few issues that need to be fixed or redesigned. If I knew then what I know now, after owning it for almost a year of little use, I wouldn't have bid on it, even at the great price that I paid.

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
Re: Lazer Monaco Carbon Fiber Modular Helmet Quick Review
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:20:03 pm »
Thanks for a very objective review. :028:

ZShyster

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I went from a Schuberth C3 that got damaged to a Nolan N104 for a couple of the reasons you cited.  The Schuberth was soooo quiet compared to any other helmet I've had, but they fit a little snug off the shelf.  While they do break in and become more comfortable, some users need to change the liner in order to accomplish the level of comfort they desire.  Glad I didn't buy the Monaco which was just over $500 US at the time.  I just couldn't justify the well north of $600 US for the Schuberth.  Shoei Neo-Tec is supposed to be a very quiet comfortable helmet as well, but they are also expensive and heavy, and for the size seem to run small to me when I tried one on.  Thanks again for all the help.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 02:02:50 pm »
I have a Lazer Monaco and really like it. I had 2 Scorpion helmets before the Lazer, and both of them (EXO 400, EXO 500) fell apart at the visor rotator. I feel the Lazer is made with better quality.

I have a more oval face and the Lazer fits me nicely.

chin strap was a pain as the OP noted, but I just doubled it over on itself and tied a small knot to hold it near the helmet attachment point. No discomfort.

The venting on the helmet works very well, but it can fog up at a stop light. I usually just crack the visor open to solve that issue. The visor will not stay open when riding and will shut closed at any speed over about 40 mph.

I got mine on sale, and am happy with it for the $300 I paid.
Serial BMW rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:47:37 am »
I am considering a new helmet and one option was Lazer.  A search brought up this excellent thread.   Thanks for the analysis. Very helpful
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline wreckedem

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: tiger
  • City / Town: n.o.la.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 01:48:26 am »
its the best helmet ive ever had. and ive had aria and shoie. lite and fit great. the transisition lens is great