Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy or Explorer  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
Trophy or Explorer
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
Just wondered if anyone considered an Explorer before buying there Trophy. I have ordered my Trophy but did consider the Explorer first. Over the years I have had 2 RT's and 5 GS's and the Adventure bike format is one that suites me. But this time the Trophy one me over, I liked the bike from the off. The ride was good, the performance was good and I felt at home on it. The explorer is a great bike but one thing I had an issue with was the wind noise off the screen. I looked on the Explorer forum only to see that it seems to be an issue with a lot of riders. So its the Trophy for me, no wind noise, just the sound of a great engine!!!
Or am I just getting old :012:

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: Trophy or Explorer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
Bluebird
I also looked at the Explorer  :087: I loved it the rucksack didn't. Until we went out on the Trophy it looked like it was going to be a GSA  :087: :087:
Thanks for small mercies  :046:
And I still haven't owned a large adventure bike. " BUT NOT DEAD YET "  :821:
Still time while I'm grass side up  :745: :745:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
The big GSA is a great machine and the wind noise is not a problem on this bike. BMW are currently offering good deals on the GSA, but you know there will be a new one out next year based on the new GS, so I resisted and hopefully the Trophy will tick all the boxes.

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:00:27 AM »
Yup I had a 2012 Explorer for just about a year. Put just over 5000k on it. Had the Explorer for 3 weeks then put deposit down on Trophy. I like them both for different reasons. The Explorer has far greater after market stuff for it. A lot more of them have been sold. Never did take it off road as knew it would be gone at some point so wanted to keep in good condition. 

My biggest downer for the Trophy is luggage space and I hate those clam shell side bags and the top box is starting to get to me as well.

As the engine and drive train is the same on both, so you only have function and style to consider on the purchase.

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 12, Daytona 12
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »
I'm just calling by here out of curiosity, having tried both the Trophy and the Explorer and having just placed a deposit on the Explorer, when I came across this very interesting thread.

I rode the Explorer for the first time last autumn and held out to try the Trophy before buying. I really wanted to like the Trophy and seeing it for the first time at the launch at Exeter, I was very impressed by the quality and the design. My daughter was all over it (that's my girl!)

However, although I'm used to heavy bikes (having owned a Daytona 1200 for the last 15 years), I really struggled with the weight and bulk of the Trophy, especially with legs of just slightly less than 29". I spent the whole of the test ride looking for a full size roundabout that I felt safe to turn it around at!

I took the Tiger out straight afterwards and it felt like a 125 in comparison to either the Trophy or the Daytona. I have no idea how two so very similar bikes could feel so very different.

Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Triumph and I certainly haven't come here to troll, but the Trophy was simply too big for me and I've never been in that situation before. I thought it might be useful to know why someone had gone the other way after a test ride.

Wishing you all the best with your bikes and it still won't stop me from stopping to admire one when I see it!   :001:

PS: Bluebird, have you noticed the address?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:10:33 PM by RedMerle »
Tiger 1200:
Riding the Trophy's disreputable hooligan little brother! ;)

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
Hi, yes I did notice the address. Getting back to the issue of the Trophy over Explorer, I can only speak of my own experiences.
I wanted an Explorer, I have had 5 various GS models over the years and 2 RT's. The adventure style of bike has always suited me, hence the desire for the Explorer. I took the Explorer out on test and it did exactly what it said on the tin, it was a great bike to ride.
However, I was disappointed with the wind noise coming off the screen, having done some research on this matter on various forums
it seems apparent that it is a problem for a lot of riders, they offer various solutions some work, some don't. I was not prepared to buy a bike and put up with this, or pay extra to try and rectify it.

I then rode the Trophy, what a dream, fantastic wind and weather protection ( I could hear that gorgeous engine) comfortable and I felt at home on her. The weight is not a problem once you are under way. I have had the trophy for 2 weeks now, I have no regrets, and can't wait to take her on some long trips.

As you will appreciate, the bike we ride is a very personal thing. What suits one rider doesn't suit another, but the Trophy really suits me. Good luck with your choice. :084:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »
I carefully considered the Explorer but opted for the Trophy.  I had waited years for Triumph to come out with a shaft drive and almost jumped on the Explorer when it first came out.  But I wanted something more.  Not to raise ire of anyone but to me the Trophy is more of a true touring bike and that is what I wanted.  I wanted the quiet and greater protection of the fairing.   The Trophy feels more comfortable.  In the end (pun intended) ...that is what won me over. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trom100

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Weston
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
Funny world! With my 29" leg I choose the Trophy in part as it is much lower than the Explorer and the weight really isn't a problem as it is so well balanced. I do like the Explorer as well and am trying to grow my legs by eating lots at the moment.  So far only one dimension has increased but I am ever hopeful!