Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Couldn't get into the garage.  (Read 5594 times)

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Playa del Rey, CA
Couldn't get into the garage.
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:51 pm »
I got back from work, at about 0100 hrs. The rain missed me, but it left wet pavement, so I opened the garage door, and eased forward until I had the front wheel on the painted garage floor, with the rear wheel touching the lip or berm where the garage floor begins. When i rolled on the throttle to climb the 1 3/8 inch ridge, the back wheel spun and the rear end of the Trophy slid sideways and the bike leaned over. I closed the throttle, regrouped and tried again. After three near falls, I quit, rolled back toward the edge of the driveway, hoisted the bike on the center stand and put on the cover.
There was no pooled or standing water on either the driveway or the garage floor to account for the total loss of traction. I've done the same thing many times, and I have no idea why this one was different, except for the outcome. The garage floor rises a little where I park, but that wasn't a factor because the rear wheel never got into the garage. I'm inclined to go back and trade for the Aprilia Shiver loaner I used while the Trophy was being serviced. I could push that into the garage with the engine off if power resulted in a loss of control. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and what is to be done about it?

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Couldn't get into the garage.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:27:44 pm »
Is traction control turned on, how's the tread on your rear tire?

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 11:34:39 pm »
Both tires have good tread. I don't know about the Traction Control, but it's on the same setting as when I've ridden in rain and then eased the bike into the garage, with no problems.  I rolled the throttle just enough to get moving, without carrying too much speed, on wet tires, onto a painted, and possibly wet and slick, garage floor. I've done that many times without drama. What's different now? A two hundred pound weight loss would fix this, IMHO, but there may be other ways. Thank you for your help.

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:28:41 am »
tire tread / profile differences... and weight. Does it do this when there is no water? (When dry?) Can you start a few inches back from the edge to get a tiny bit of momentum? that might help a bit. The recommended pressure on the trophy is a bit high, so these tires are really blown up like a balloon... there won't be much to contact that sharp edge on the concrete of the garage floor.

I'd almost recommend a small piece of wood... just put it in place just before you go to pull into the garage - like a step to take up half the height or so... that should get you on into the garage without drama.

Sure, it's a small amount of extra work.... but not that much... get off the bike, take off some of the gear - put the little plank in place, roll the bike into the garage - remove the plank - done!

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:11:27 am »
I've rolled into the garage on both rainy and dry nights with no problems until last night. When I tried to climb the berm, carefully so as not to carry too much speed onto the painted floor, with damp tires and shoes, the back tire spun and slid the rear of the Trophy sideways. After three tries, I decided to call it a night before I dropped the bike on the concrete or on the car parked to my right. Same tires, same weight, same traction control setting. Things can go very bad very quickly with that much weight swinging around. My first reaction was to blame the wet garage floor, but the rear tire never got up onto that floor. I'll try again, this evening. The floor inside the garage rises and I park on a small level spot with the left grip almost touching the wall, so we can fit two SUVs in the two and a half car garage. The wall on the left makes a right turn, where we had a closet built, and I put the front tire in the corner where the two walls meet. It takes a little finesse to get it right, and I'm always aware of how heavy the Trophy is.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 06:57:25 am »
A two hundred pound weight loss would fix this ...
That's one hell of a diet to go on  :005:   :745:

Seriously though - Easing the step up as suggested with some sort of mini ramp is a good idea,
and will also place less stress on the tires without such a sharp edge to traverse,
but I'm also concerned about your slippery garage floor when it's wet.

How about painting the area you travel across up to the Parking point, with some "Anti Slip Garage Floor Paint",
( Google that phrase - there are lots of brands to choose from ), to reduce the risk of slipping once you do get inside -
You would then be able to ride straight into the garage with more confidence that you will be able to stop !  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 07:05:26 am »
Coconut beat me on the suggestion of the anti slip paint....

I have this on my garage floor and it is perfect. I too have a slight lip at the front of the garage so have to apply a little power to get over that and into the garage....

With the anti slip paint even when wet I have never had any issue with tyres losing grip
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:22 am »
Living on a farm I am plagued with damp and wet grass sometimes getting the bike up to the garage.

I have a length of carpet that a lay down out side the garage door and into the garage. Then just ride up the carpet. (Should have had it Red Carpet for such a great bike) :745:

But it does the trick. I have a plain concrete floor. Having a painted floor is asking for trouble. As previously advised remove the paint or get a non slip finish. Make a small ramp to offset the step into your garage. It isn't the bike its the situation. That can be solved.

seadog

seadog