Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Devil's Porridge  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Eftan

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200
  • City / Town: nelson
Devil's Porridge
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:24:34 pm »
Hi
I took a ride from Lancashire into the Scottish Borders heading off to Annan. Lovely run up the A6 and if you are coming from East Lancs / or Skipton area a good excuse to go via Devil's Bridge for Brekky first.
So either A6 through to Gretna and follow the signs to Annan and eventually turn to the Devil's Porridge museum or if feeling braver take signs to Brampton and Longtown crossing the border there and follow wonderful B roads into Annan and turn left at the roundabout.
The Devil's Porridge Museum is a grand place to explore, lots of hands on stuff and gives the history of a WW! munitopns factory (including the mixing of the explosives by hand - the Devil's Porridge) as well as a description of the worst British rail crash so far.
A pleasant couple of hours, and for those over 60 there are reductions in entry fee. Then trip into Annan itself for excellent feeding options.
A daemon is for life not just Hallowe'en

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Devil's Porridge
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:39:05 pm »
Efton

That sounds a good ride. I have done parts of that myself and a great road especially if you get on the A7 out of carlisle. I get off ship next week and am planning a couple of rides. I want to do a stop over in Moffat at the Buccluach arms hotel Biker friendly hotel. So stopping off where you went is in the vicinity and would be worth going. Sounds interesting.

In June I am setting off for 4 days in Ireland cant wait for that leave period :008:

seadog
seadog

Offline Eftan

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:42:08 pm »
Love the Buccleuch have been there a coupe of times, they really know there BMW RTs. Another good run from there is Grey Mare's tail - shortish but worht the look.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:47:10 pm »
I was thinking of the 3 lochs run then drop down into Moffat. I would come up from the A1 side then corbridge to Carter bar, Selkirk cross over to the west side. Pick up the 3 lochs road just a single track but looks really nice. Drop into Moffat then next day do the Devils porridge ride you mentioned then work my way back through the dales via devils bridge then onto Harrogate.

Wetting my appetite already :008:

seadog
seadog

Offline Eftan

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:53:47 pm »
Sounds excellent - remember to head through Longtown , Brampton and Castle Carrock on the way to the Bridge - if necessary divert via Sedbergh wonderful scenery and excellent none motorway roads.

tweedy-bunch