Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Replaced TPMS sensitivity  (Read 22915 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Replaced TPMS sensitivity
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:24:32 pm »
Just had the TPMS module in my rear tire replaced under warranty due to the low battery warning.  Thanks to Triumph for that.   :028:  However I now find that my red warning light is very sensitive.  If the rear pressure falls to 40 then the red warning light comes on.  It only used to come on at 38.      I keep my rear tire at 42 cold.  However with such a sensitive TPMS module an overnight cold snap could cause the tire pressure to lessen enough to  activate the light.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Replaced TPMS sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »
w8d4it

No the only time it ever came on was when I had a puncture and it was reading 36psi on the rear.
great bit of kit. Can it be altered via the computer settings by the dealer or is it a pre set in the unit?

seadog
seadog

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 05:39:43 pm »
Adjustable...good question.  I will have to investigate.  I only noticed this when I overnighted in the mountains and experienced cold weather.  Used my portable compressor to bring the tire back up to spec.  And of course when I returned to the normal 85 degree weather the rear tire was 2-3 of pounds high.   I will research whether it is adjustable.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 07:16:17 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Just had the TPMS module in my rear tire replaced under warranty due to the low battery warning.  Thanks to Triumph for that.   :028:  However I now find that my red warning light is very sensitive.  If the rear pressure falls to 40 then the red warning light comes on.  It only used to come on at 38.      I keep my rear tire at 42 cold.  However with such a sensitive TPMS module an overnight cold snap could cause the tire pressure to lessen enough to  activate the light.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Tire PSI should be set at the coldest temp you expect to experience. IOW, if you expect the weather to be a lot colder after you check your tire PSI at home, set the rear tire a few PSI high before you leave and the front 1 or two psi high.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:00 pm »
No offense but I don't think it practical advice to suggest prepping for the coldest anticipated temps when the trip involves extended periods (eg hundreds of miles) at temperatures significantly higher than  any anticipated coldest temps.  Why would I run hundreds of miles at pressures too high just to accommodate a limited period of cold weather?  The sensible thing to do is, as I do, carry a portable compressor.   That is of course if one is dealing with anticipated significant temperature deltas.  If one encounters sudden unanticipated temperature changes then one would't adjust the pressure anyway. 

But my original question was whether anyone else, in changing the TPMS module, had experience increase sensitivity to minute pressure changes.  In other words a drop of two PSI from the recommended cold setting shouldn't be expected to set off the red warning light.  Let me give a more concrete example.   With my old TPMS module I experienced  a drop of 15F-18F in less than 45 minutes when riding from NH to coastal Maine .  No red light was triggered.  With the new TPMS I experienced a drop of 8F-10F in twenty minutes while climbing to and riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA.  The only difference that prevents an absolutely accurate comparison is that just prior to climbing the BRP I stopped for gas for about 20 minutes so the tires had a brief opportunity to cool somewhat. But still clearly the new TPMS is more sensitive.  And BTW you can see that in both instances I would not have wanted to over inflate the tires for the hundreds of miles it took to get to those destinations even if I had contemplated those temp drops.  (the Parkway temp drop I did anticipate, the Maine coast drop not)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:34:54 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
The sensible thing to do is, as I do, carry a portable compressor.
But you're NOT  supposed to reduce the tire psi when the tire warms up.

BTW, I too carry a portable compressor with three of my four bikes. The Suzuki can be easily be ridden with a total flat rear tire and I have done such for many miles a couple of times. No tire damage noticed. I have been told these can even be ridden with a front tire flat, but that I have had no need to try--yet.

BTW, here in the Reno area, the temps can drop fast, espcally at night, and the Triumph dealer here puts a couple of extra PSI in the tires so there will be no alarm. They told me such when I picked up my TTSE for the first time.

I assume there is no simple way to set the alarm PSI on the TTSE.

IMO, a couple of PSI more is NBD. It can never be perfect for all conditions.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 09:03:10 pm »
Perhaps I haven't articulated my thoughts clearly. I never said anything about reducing the tire pressure. Of course one does not reduce the pressure when the tires warm up.  I carry a portable compressor in the event the tire pressure is low.  Of course in the event of punctures, but also for circumstances exactly as I describe.  Where, due to sudden temperature changes, the tire pressure is unacceptably low.  As for your Triumph dealer's practice of over inflating the tire I don't agree it is NBD.  Especially when one is riding long distances at high speeds.  I check my tire pressures before every ride.  When riding the Trophy I leave the instrument panel reading the tire pressures.  I keep track of the pressures from the moment I start, during the heat buildup and resulting pressure increase, and throughout the entire ride.  I know the tire pressure characteristics intimately and if there is a deviation from the norm I view it as an early warning.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »
In answer to the original question.  I had my TPMS (both) replaced a couple of weeks back.  I have no idea why but the garage pumped them up to 31/35 (yes you read that correctly)

I thought that perhaps they had used their air line at correct pressure and the TPMS units were mis reading.  Anyway went to the garage the following day and checked.  They were indeed under pressure.  Pumped them back to 38/42

At no time did I get a warning light nor error

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one