Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Ok so heres a strange one !!  (Read 8704 times)

Offline adventure boy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Essex
Ok so heres a strange one !!
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:50 pm »
Fitted a pair of LED driving lights took the power from the 12v aux socket in the glove box so the lights are on all the time the bike is started all good so far !!

Went for a quick blast to try out the new tyres and there is no FM reception on the Radio at all MW works but no FM just by thought I remembered being in the garage the other night and starting the bike up and the reception on the TV went out Instantly I thought maybe its the new lights that's knocking the radio reception out

Got back home stopped the bike using the kill switch and the lights went out and the radio started to work perfectly, disconnected the lights and the radio has reception no probs re connect them and no reception just a hiss

Any ideas guys ?? it looks like there is a frequency coming from the lights that's knocking out the FM signal !!

Thanks Rob
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:46:12 pm by adventure boy »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Ok so heres a strange one !!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:58:59 am »
Wins the "strange problem" award from me!
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 06:22:31 am »
I assume you have disconnected the lights and the FM radio has returned to confirm that the lights are the problem??
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline adventure boy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:05 am »
Yep put a inline flick switch in the glove box
Lights on no reception lights off radio works perfectly !!

cant get this lol  :087:

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:38 am »
As far as I am aware most "high power" LEDs are usually powered from a high frequency Ignition Box - basically a Voltage Multiplier. This is usually built-in but can be separate.
The fact that it blocks the FM but not the AM would seem to suggest an in-line Suppressor is required..

You may need to run these LEDs from a different power source, but saying that...
I fitted LED DRLs the other week but haven't had this problem as I have removed the radio on my TTSE.
I too used the Aux Socket as my initial thought of using the Parking/Position/Sidelight wiring meant the Bike wouldn't start - the LED Striking Circuit was just drawing too much initial current OR presenting an unsuitable "Load" - which I assume the ECM saw as insufficient Battery Power and refused to start the bike.
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline adventure boy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:33:02 am »
*Originally Posted by Gordon3xBBB [+]
As far as I am aware most "high power" LEDs are usually powered from a high frequency Ignition Box - basically a Voltage Multiplier. This is usually built-in but can be separate.
The fact that it blocks the FM but not the AM would seem to suggest an in-line Suppressor is required..

You may need to run these LEDs from a different power source, but saying that...
I fitted LED DRLs the other week but haven't had this problem as I have removed the radio on my TTSE.
I too used the Aux Socket as my initial thought of using the Parking/Position/Sidelight wiring meant the Bike wouldn't start - the LED Striking Circuit was just drawing too much initial current OR presenting an unsuitable "Load" - which I assume the ECM saw as insufficient Battery Power and refused to start the bike.

Ill try later to wire the LEDs to a battery not connected to the bike that way Ill see if its the bike or the LEDs that's knocking the signal out, if it works Ill rewire them to another 12v source if not ill only use the LEDs when playing music from the phone or SD card or am LOL 

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »
LEDs can and will mess with certain electronic signals such as FM radio and some other signals. My buddy replaced the lighting in his fancy new garage with an LED system and now his garage door openers won't work. Had him scratching his head and throwing tools until his 16 year old nephew told him the LEDs were disrupting the signal, kid was right. It is a flaw that has the LED manufacturers looking for a solution. Inexpensive HID headlight kits will also do this.

Offline adventure boy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:33:14 pm »
Really weird this and its only due to the TV doing the same or Id have pulled the front off again thinking id disturbed the aerial or something when fitting the sat nav bracket !!