Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: jumping out of gear  (Read 9818 times)

Offline Hard Working Teacher

• Trophy Junior
  • Love my bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hellertown, PA
jumping out of gear
« on: May 18, 2015, 11:26:14 am »
My 2014 TTSE with under 900 miles on it is in the shop with a defective transmission. I say defective because I bought it new with 68 miles on it and drive it like any other bike I have owned. As an experienced rider, I am not just disappointed rather, I am disgusted :233: that this has happened. Understanding things break and are mechanical, this should not be happening.
After my 600 mile service, I went on nice ride with my girl on the back. Upon acceleration in 3rd, 4th 5th gear it momentarily jumped out of gear and than back in again. Before sending it back to the dealer, I test drove it again. You could not keep the bike in 2nd gear. Not only is this highly dangerous but ridiculous as well for a bike with under 900 miles.

The only thing I can contribute this is from day one this bike has been hard to shift. Physically hard. I just wrote that off as it being the way it is. Perhaps this was a sign from the get go.

The issue is in Triumphs hands as the dealer has done the diagnosis [PULLED TRANS FOUND BENT SHIFT FORK DAMAGE TO GEARS AND SHIFT DRUM]
Not to mention, I have already been without a bike for a week now and parts need to come from the UK. Its a given Triumph will take care of the repairs.

These are my real concerns:

1) Why did this happen ? defective parts missed recall ?
2) What assurances do I have it wont happen again?
3) What will Triumph do if it does and its out of warranty ?

Sorry for being long winded! $23k for a bike and this happens is upsetting  :157:

I will keep this post updated as things progress

Ken

never ride when your emotionally upset

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: jumping out of gear
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »
Sorry to hear of this, and you're absolutely right - it shouldn't happen,
but unfortunately we have also seen a ( very small ) number of Members with similar problems.

Of course Triumph WILL make the repairs under Warranty,
but I would also be writing to the Triumph Head Office in your Country,
explaining what has happened, and how disapppointed you are,
and asking them what else they intend to do to compensate you for the inconvenience,
and restore your faith and confidence in the Triumph brand  :169:

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:12:23 am by Coconut »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:50:35 pm »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. This has got to be under warranty and Triumph are good at honouring there repairs.
My question is if it was hard to change gear from the start why it was not reported earlier and secondly how come you have not got a loaner bike from the dealer?

Hope it is all resolved soon.

seadog
seadog

Offline Hard Working Teacher

• Trophy Junior
  • Love my bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hellertown, PA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:20:42 pm »
I did report it and they felt is was in line with standards of the bike. Maybe its me?

It is being serviced at a different dealer than where it was purchased for geographical reasons.  They do have a loaner program for a day or two turn around not a 2-3 week turn around.
never ride when your emotionally upset

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 02:00:04 pm »
Sorry to  hear about your trouble with the Trophy.  Please take Coconut's advice.  He knows all things Trophy and Triumph.  You may get some assistance or gear or something for the aggravation.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:00:00 pm »
Definitely shouldn't happen on a new bike, but as you said, mechanical items can go for any reason. I'm on my third Triumph and transmission problems is definitely not something that Triumph is known for. Actually just the opposite as their transmissions are regarded as pretty stout compared to others in the industry. If it was physically hard to shift when you purchased it new, then it most likely had a problem from the beginning. Most new transmissions can be a little clunky for the first couple thousand miles, but usually not physically real hard to shift. I can tell you from my experiences with dealing with Triumph, they will definitely correct the problem as I've never had an issue with them as far as any warranty issue.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 04:13:30 pm »
*Originally Posted by Hard Working Teacher [+]
I did report it and they felt is was in line with standards of the bike. Maybe its me?

It is being serviced at a different dealer than where it was purchased for geographical reasons.  They do have a loaner program for a day or two turn around not a 2-3 week turn around.
It is not you.  Your expectations are completely acceptable.

Re: the loaner program that is absurd.  It is the opposite of what it should be.  Anyone can go without a bike for a day or two but should not be expected to go 2-3 weeks without.  I would go back to the dealer and demand a loaner.  And if they don't provide one I'd go to Triumph Co.  This unacceptable.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 07:11:43 pm »
Been quite a few niggling problems, especially with early models ( like <sigh> mine ) but Triumph has dealt with them fairly it seems.    Transmission woes happily have not been mentioned much on this board.  Being, like any forum, the negative tends to get overemphasized, I'd say you are the lucky winner of a rare problem.   When it's fixed, you'll love the Trophy!!!

there is an issue some have had with the shifter lever pivot breaking off.  Best to not stomp or boot that pedal, shift it like a BMW  (:>

Best of luck with your TTSE!!
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

tweedy-bunch