Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Heated grips not very hot.  (Read 23197 times)

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
Heated grips not very hot.
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:55:52 am »
I have searched and have found no information anywhere. 

What I am looking for is the Ohm reading for the heated grips. 

My grips are not very warm and I would like to know if anyone has measured the resistance of the heater element in the grips.  I have talked with Triumph Canada and they have no record of what it is supposed to be, and all the dealership says is "Yes, they are working".  I cannot go to another dealership as there is only 2 in the province of Alberta, and the other is quite a distance away.
On my previous bike I installed aftermarket heated grips (oxford) and on the highest setting (1-5), you could not hold them with bare hands, that is how hot they got.
Is anybody else experiencing luke warm grips?  On the other hand, my heated seats are very hot and I usually only use the low setting until it reaches below 5C.

Thank you in advance.

Paul
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Heated grips not very hot.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:24:46 am »
I've not measured the resistance on my grips. I don't use them much except when I visit the frozen wastelands of the Northeast. Both the low and the high settings can be felt through my gloves.  Neither setting is too hot to handle barehanded although the high setting is uncomfortable.  The high setting can also be uncomfortable through the gloves in the sense it makes my hands sweat. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:51:42 am »
*Originally Posted by paulpaul [+]
I have searched and have found no information anywhere. 

What I am looking for is the Ohm reading for the heated grips. 

My grips are not very warm and I would like to know if anyone has measured the resistance of the heater element in the grips.  I have talked with Triumph Canada and they have no record of what it is supposed to be, and all the dealership says is "Yes, they are working".  I cannot go to another dealership as there is only 2 in the province of Alberta, and the other is quite a distance away.
On my previous bike I installed aftermarket heated grips (oxford) and on the highest setting (1-5), you could not hold them with bare hands, that is how hot they got.
Is anybody else experiencing luke warm grips?  On the other hand, my heated seats are very hot and I usually only use the low setting until it reaches below 5C.

Thank you in advance.

Paul
Check current at fuse. Much better test:

Heated grips on low setting:  3.90 amps
Heated grips on high setting: 6.0 amps

Heated seat on low:   1.11 amps
Heated seat on high:  1.30 amps

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:44:38 pm »
I agree with Don. Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) X Current (amps) 
Serial BMW rider

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:19 am »
I tried to hook up my multimeter to measure the amps and I could not get the grips to go on.  The icon on the screen was missing when I pulled the fuse and replaced it with the multimeter.  Am I doing something wrong?  What I did was, pull the fuse and then put each lead where one prong of the fuse is supposed to be. (in series) Set the meter to amps, and had the leads in the proper spots.  I am using an older radio shack meter that is auto ranging and can handle up to 20amps.  I even tried to put the lead in one spot where the fuse is supposed to go, then connect the other fuse lead to the 10 amp fuse and then connect the other lead of the multimeter to the second prong of the fuse, still nothing.  Also I forgot to mention that when testing the bike is running.

Any suggestions?  Better meter? or am I doing something totally wrong?
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:31:40 am »
Well, it sounds like you are doing it correctly. One thing to check, on my meters, I have to move the positive lead to a different socket on the meter to read amps. The only other thing I can think of is that the meter has a fuse inside of it to protect it when reading amps, and that fuse is blown.
Serial BMW rider

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:40:59 am »
I tried to hook up my multimeter to measure the amps and I could not get the grips to go on.  The icon on the screen was missing when I pulled the fuse and replaced it with the multimeter.  Am I doing something wrong?  What I did was, pull the fuse and then put each lead where one prong of the fuse is supposed to be. (in series) Set the meter to amps, and had the leads in the proper spots.  I am using an older radio shack meter that is auto ranging and can handle up to 20amps.  I even tried to put the lead in one spot where the fuse is supposed to go, then connect the other fuse lead to the 10 amp fuse and then connect the other lead of the multimeter to the second prong of the fuse, still nothing.  Also I forgot to mention that when testing the bike is running.

20 amp scale  usually  requires you to put your red lead in a 20 amp UNFUSED  socket on your meter.

But trying a lower scale will blow the fuse inside the VOM--perhaps so fast you don't even notice the meter jump. And that will open the circuit. But even with that fuse blown, the 20 amp scale will still work in most meters, as the 20 amp scale is usually not fused.

-Don-  SSF, CA
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:19:33 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:00 am »

To really make this job simple, use one of these.

You remove the TTSE fuse and insert it in the tester and then plug the tester into the fuse socket. So then you're still fused while checking the current in series with the meter. Very handy for such stuff.

But make sure you get the one for the correct size blade fuse.

-Don-  SSF, CA
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:28:03 am by DonTom »