Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: strange gear change  (Read 3344 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
strange gear change
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »
I had driven 90 miles quite spirited, went to an hour meeting and was driving back and the gear change was very stiff.  I had been riding the sprint recently so wondered if that change was easier, but got quite worried about the gear change.  Anyway drove in to work, then centre of town then 60 miles home (so lots of changes).  The gear change seemed stiff so much so I could not find neutral from 1st.  when I tried to change it seemed as though the lever was solid then once past that initial feeling the change was quite good.  I think this was why it was difficult to get neutral as the initial push to overcome the 'stiction' would mean it went straight through neutral when it started to move.

SO over the weekend I washed the bike (I know a big occasion) and check that the pivot had not siezed but all seemed good (I have replaced mine when the old one broke).  SO used the bike on Monday and no problem and back to a nice easy change easily finding neutral from 1st.

Obviously it was the bike telling me I had to wash it ????? 

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: strange gear change
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:54:34 pm »
Hmmm - Keep on this John ( I'm sure you will ) ....

We have a Member over in the U.S. that had a "stiff" gear change from new,
and now the bke has had to go back the the Dealer,
after it started slipping momentarily out of 4th 5th and 6th gears,
and not holding 2nd gear at all  :012:

See here : Jumping out of gear

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:11:52 pm »
Obviously the bike did not like Fridays going to work?  I am just surprised it all went away this week but I did not drive so far on Monday only 25miles each way. So it could be heat related.  Another thing was possibly a bit of vibration.  I had read about jumping out of gear and bent selectors so tried not to change gear much on the way to work and the meeting in town but thrashed it a bit more coming home to see if it was going to go wrong.  I did spend extra time around the gear change area when in washed it on Sunday but everything seemed free to move.  I have modified my pivot to be a bolt through the middle of a cut and drilled standard pivot.  I did wonder about seeing if it was possible to modify the pivot to also use the bit of removable frame to support the pivot bolt at both ends which would make it a lot stronger.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:57 pm »
If mine starts acting up I'll let you know.  It does need a was right now (has for the last month). :084:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:27:40 pm »
Two weeks ago I rode Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon.  318 curves in 12 miles.  Rode it both ways. So theoretically 636 curves in 24 miles.   You can imagine the work out my shifter got!  Got to say I was very impressed with the continued smoothness!  Short answer...so far I haven't experienced any of the stiffness you describe.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:26:55 am »
I have not experienced that sort of stiffness, hot or cold, in 73,000kms. I am just back from lots and lots of corners, no gear change issues.

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:35:59 am »
Could it be intermittent clutch drag? How's the reservoir fluid? Boiled fluid?  :821: John

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:49:48 pm »
Thanks for replies.  I have done abuot 20K miles now with no issue.  I did try adjusting the clutch span adjuster as my first thought was clutch drag.  (if it was the Tiger I would have thought chain too tight)  but that did not change it.  I will check clutch fluid.  I did check engine oil but the level looks fine.  On the Sprint today (bad choice as it is raining) but will give the SE a thrash tomorrow.

tweedy-bunch