Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Engine oil again!  (Read 5299 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
Engine oil again!
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:36 pm »
Just wondering if I can use this oil in my Trophy. It doesn't say it's API SH but does say it exceeds SL and SM ... with sm having more molybdemun that causes wet clutches to slip .. unless I'm being misinformated.

Rotella T6 5W-40 5L

Thanks.

Colin

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
Re: Engine oil again!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:46:03 pm »
As I understand it, Rotella T6 (5W-40) is suitable for motorcycle use since it carries the JASO MA standard and is not loaded with friction modifiers.  It also has sufficient zinc-phosphorus (anti-wear) compound for motorcycle use, but that may be of concern if your motorcycle is equipped with a catalytic converter (which the TTSE is) since ZDDP is known to degrade the converter.  That said, I understand Rotella is in widespread use in the motorcycling community and I have not heard of any complaints of converter degradation/failure.  Of course, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened - just that I haven't heard of it.  I use it in my non-catalytic converter equipped bikes.  The TTSE gets Mobil 1 MC oil.

Hope this helps,

Theo

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36:46 pm »
Well I believe that is an oil designed for diesels.  Not saying it won't work in a bike but given the Trophy needs less than a gallon and gets its oil changed every 10,000 (unless you change more frequently as I do every 5000) miles I go with what Triumph recommends.  In fact I use Castrol in all my cars and motorcycles, except the Corvette which calls for Mobil 1.  I don't think it advisable to ever scrimp on oil. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55:22 pm »
Long discussions from every direction on every brand over on the K1600 forum.  From long ago private lab tests by a petroleum engineer posted on the internet on several brands and the additives they contained the BMW motorcycle oil has/had more wear additives than any other brands.  I saw this article several years ago related to oil questions in general, and the engineer wasn't employed by any of the brands tested.  Are those additives a necessity?  Who knows.  Rotella T6 is an oil sometimes recommended for heavy diesel engines such as motorhomes/trucks.  Personally I use whatever the manufacturer recommends, whether it is BMW, Triumph, or any other brand I may own in the future.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:50 am »
*Originally Posted by ColinM [+]
Just wondering if I can use this oil in my Trophy. It doesn't say it's API SH but does say it exceeds SL and SM ... with sm having more molybdemun that causes wet clutches to slip .. unless I'm being misinformated.

Rotella T6 5W-40 5L

Thanks.

Colin
I use the Rotella in my Yamaha 1984 Venture. It's great engine oil for the older wet clutch cycles.

In my 71 BMW I use dino automotive oil of any brand (dry clutch).

But I would NOT consider using either of the above  in my TTSE. Go by what your owner's manual says on page 175. Use synthetic (semi or full) engine oil ONLY--no dino oil--in your TTSE. 10W40 or 10W50. I use the Castrol Racing 4T motorcycle engine oil  (10W40) just as they spell out.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:00:42 am »
There are reasons manufacturers specify what they do in lubricants.  I had a first year Ford Expedition with the 4.6L and asked one of the mechanics at the dealer why they recommended 5W20 oil in that engine and the 5.4L used 10W40.  His answer was that they had already seen some 4.6L engines that had seized due to insufficient lubrication when running 10W40 because the clearances in the smaller engine were so tight that heavier viscosity oils would not lubricate them properly.  Truth or dealer speak?  I don't know, but mine never had a single issue with 5W20 for the years that I owned it in the Texas heat.  There isn't much savings in using other than the recommended oil when you consider what it costs and how long between changes it runs anyway.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:16:00 am »
I'm just wondering WHY you would want to use any oil other than that specified by Triumph ?

Especially while under warranty - if your engine were to go BANG,
you might be giving Triumph a reason to deny any warranty claim,
as the motorcycle would not have been maintained in accordance with their specifications  :005:

If it's because you have a large quantity of it available to you that you don't use for anything else,
my advice would be to sell it, and use the Cash to buy the proper stuff  :028:

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:01:13 am »
Okay, thanks everyone for your input. The oil seemed to meet the specifications dictated by Triumph that's why I thought I would ask. But I got the message loud and clear so I'm going to head over to the bike store and get the proper oil.

Thanks again.

Colin

tweedy-bunch