Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How to tell if TSB 154 was completed prior to sale?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline astrocyclist

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fayetteville, NC
How to tell if TSB 154 was completed prior to sale?
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:26:05 am »
My 2013 SE seems to be making an unusual engine rattling noise but I'm pretty sure it's done it all along (earplugs...). I called my dealer who looked up the VIN on triumphonline and the reply was that there were no outstanding recalls or service bulletins. I've had the ECU recall and center stand recall performed there, BTW. When I pressed him, he said that it didn't show that work was done, but that was normal - it would only show if work was needed. Later I realized that the audio module firmware upgrade should have shown up then since I know for a fact it hasn't been updated. I'll be bringing it in for it's yearly DMV inspection and want to hear what a new Trophy sounds like compared to mine. My question is if anyone has any knowledge on how the information is presented on the dealer-only website. My warranty is up in about 3 weeks, right when I'll be smack-dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I want to head off any potential problems ahead of time. Since I'm sure if the work is needed I'll be waiting on the parts kit to arrive and for my return home, has anyone also had any experience with getting a dealer to agree to perform warranty work after the warranty expires through some type of written letter, etc. due to unavailability? Thanks,

Chris

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: How to tell if TSB 154 was completed prior to sale?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:53:36 am »
The noisy rattling cylinder head problem was never categorised by Triumph as a "Recall"
but as an "Upgrade", which was offered to all UK owners within a certain VIN range,
but only offfered outside the UK to Owners that complained of the noise and / or requested it.

I understand that in the UK, the Warranty for the engine was extended by an extra year after the "Upgrade",
but I have no information as to whether this also applied outside the UK.

The Audio Module was a Software "Update".

At least one of our Members has a relative who is a Dealer and will hopefully be able to provide
a definitive answer as to what should show up on the records and information systems available to Dealers.

The Terms & Conditions of Triumph's 2 year unlimited mileage warranty state that :
Any part found to be defective during this period will be repaired or replaced
at the discretion of Triumph Motorcycles Ltd by an authorised Triumph dealer.
The question of whether parts are available to carry out the work before the warranty expires
does not seem to be an issue, so just make sure any and all faults are reported within the warranty period !

Offline astrocyclist

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:13:18 am »
Coconut,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I know about the difference between recalls and service bulletins, but I might have worded it in a confusing way. On the Recalls And TSBs thread it was stated that the consumer website would show which which recalls were performed, yet my VIN inquiry only shows that no recalls are outstanding, not which ones were performed. I forgot about the gas tank recall, so yes I am up-to-date with those, but not the TSBs. Since those don't necessarily have to be performed, they wouldn't show up as outstanding I presume. I would think that any TSB work done would show up on the dealer site as having been performed, so I am confused on how to be certain. If I can ever get to sleep I'll head over in the morning to my dealer. I actually hope that the floor models sound the same since I am losing confidence in my local service department. It seems that every time I'm there, I have to perform QC for them. Last time they forgot to program my second key with the new ECU and enable the audio module, but hey, the customer can wait another 3 hours after we told him his bike was ready, right?

Chris

Offline astrocyclist

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:39:58 pm »
Well, good news. My bike was NOT making the noise associated with the TSB, but I still have to bring it in next week when they can perform the audio module software update.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:54:21 am »
*Originally Posted by astrocyclist [+]
When I pressed him, he said that it didn't show that work was done, but that was normal - it would only show if work was needed.
That is simply not true.  Triumph records will indicate whether the work has been done.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline astrocyclist

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:08:38 pm »
That's what I would have expected it to show, but I'm not surprised at the answer the service rep gave me. When I asked about a LiFePO4 battery upgrade I was told they were just gimmicks. I'm glad that the bike is OK and that another dealer is only an hour away. Nice guys, personality-wise, but not confidence-inspiring.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:00 pm »
Well, good news. My bike was NOT making the noise associated with the TSB,
I purchased my 2013 used TT with 4500 miles on it from a Triumph dealership in another town. Had the vin number run and all recalls and TSB's had been done. The TSB #154 for the heads was not done due to it not being a safety issue or a recall. It sounded like a diesel tractor then and now, so before buying it, I listened to another Trophy they had (2014) and it sounded the same. Took it to my Triumph tech at the dealer that I usually use, had him listen to my diesel sounding Trophy and he said it was normal. I've owned quite a few bikes in my life, including two other Triumphs and I've never heard one that sounds like these TT triples do. When I spoke with two different techs at Triumph USA, they said it was my option to have it done or not. I also asked about catastrophic engine failures related to this issue. He stated that they were not aware of any engine failures, went on to say that it was just a noise issue.

The only reason I'm still leaning to not having it done, is because of all the other related issues that others have experienced that had it done. Including a member here who just had it done and his bike came back to him sluggish and had to go back. Another concern is that I don't like the idea of the bike being completely torn down, you'll never know if its put back together correctly. I've never had much luck with dealers doing less intrusive repairs under warranty with other bikes that I've owned, so I try to do as much of my on work as possible. I usually don't keep a bike more than 3 years or so (unless it rides like the Trophy). With my factory warranty expiring at the end of July, I'll probably be purchasing a two year extended warranty for about $600 just to be safe....sad, sad, sad...

Offline astrocyclist

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 01:11:00 am »
I've had the service manual since shortly after I bought the bike, but I had been bringing it to the dealer thinking I was "protecting" my warranty. After I started reading the SM I came to the conclusion that I've just been wasting my money. I'm a mechanic by trade, albeit not vehicles, but I'm no stranger to tools and most of the maintenance is well within the realm of anyone with mechanical aptitude and access to the right information. I'm afraid that the people who have been working on my bike are sorely lacking in attention to detail, were working by the seat of their pants instead of using the service manual, and that there was no oversight by the service manager. They say time is money, but so is piece of mind. I've got the wrenches and DealerTool, so the only thing I'll be having the dealer do from now on is an occasional Autoscan to perform a tune/audio module update.

tweedy-bunch