Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I changed my oil and filter  (Read 3888 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
I changed my oil and filter
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »
I had the dealer do the 800km service - oil filter etc..  I decided to do the next one myself.  Without the triumph oil filter removal tool it was a hell of a job getting the oil filter off because where it is, is very tight  :012: .. I used a fabric filter removal tool that I had for my Honda. It took a while but finally got it loose.

To take the oil filter off I removed the bottom bolt from the fairing to give me a bit more space to work with.

I replaced the filter with a KN-204 which has the bolt on it and will make it much easier to remove next time with a socket wrench. I ordered 2 more KN-204 filters off amazon.ca for $14.49 cdn ea. plus tax, free shipping.

I replaced the oil with Shell Rotella T6  5w40. This oil has the Japanese certification JASO MA which is recommended by Triumph. There is a difference between having the certification and an oil company saying that it exceeds a certification which what they are really saying is that they think it does.

I reused the crush washer. I put 4 litres of oil into the engine. It's pretty hard to see the oil level indicator while standing the bike up straight  :745:  I'll have to see if I can get the wife to look while I hold the bike up. Im still practicing at getting the bike on the center stand.  :157:

Here is an excert from an earlier  post I did on oil

Okay, I have changed my mind. After further research in other motorcycle forums it looks like this oil can be used in Triumph Trophy as Theo says Rotella T6 (5W-40) is suitable for motorcycle use since it carries the JASO MA standard and is not loaded with friction modifiers.  And as someone else said the only reason Triumph recommends Mobil 1 first and now Castrol is for the sponsorship deals.

I'm not a mechanic but I did read up thoroughly on oils and specifications. this oil is certified JASO MA which is recommended by Triumph. The only difference is the 5 instead of the 10w40 which is probably good for me in Toronto where the weather is really cold in the shoulder seasons.

It's on sale now for $40 cdn (reg $47) at CanadianTire in Toronto for 5 l.  In the U.S. I believe it $20 for 3.8 l. After exchange rate and equivalent volume it's about the same price. Plus I got a $7 MAIL IN rebate coupon.

Brand and type of oil I think will always be a contentious issue and will be discussed to death like it has been on all Motorcycle forums.

Any oil that goes to the trouble of being JASO MA certified and is 10 to 20% cheaper than others will get my business.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: I changed my oil and filter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:37:50 pm »
I went and read the manual carefully on this topic.
What it says is (pg 126 and reiterated on pg 127): "fill the engine with a 10w/40 or 10w/50 semi or fully synthetic motorcycle engine oil that meets specification API SH (or higher) AND JASO MA such as Castrol Power RS racing 4T 10w-40..."

It does not say that you have to use a fully synthetic oil nor does it say that you have to use Castrol oil. It does however call out an oil that meets both the API and JASO specifications, as they are different. It also specifically says that you must use a motorcycle engine oil.  :164:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:10:21 pm by azgman »
Serial BMW rider

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 02:10:13 pm »
Quote "Without the triumph oil filter removal tool it was a hell of a job getting the oil filter off because where it is, is very tight  :012: .. I used a fabric filter removal tool that I had for my Honda. It took a while but finally got it loose."

Any old & difficult filters will be trashed - so carefully hammer a sharp screwdriver through it and out the other side then unscrew it with the screwdriver handle, it's a bit messy but it gets the old one off in a few seconds :002:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline Aharbi

• Trophy Pro
  • Retired and riding
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Austin Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:15:12 am »
Did the same, first time for me now that the bike is off warranty.

When looking at the filter from the left side of the bike. I removed the lower right fairing bolt.

Ran up to the local autoparts store with the Triumph filter and bought ($3.99) a filter wrench that fit exactly.

After I had everything together it took me maybe 20 minutes. A six inch extension on the filter wrench works good. I was surprised how clear the new oil is, like apple juice :-)

Not wanting to start another oil debate. Just sharing my experience ;-)
Best regards; Art

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:48:43 am »
40+ years of using Castrol in my motorcycles ...never had an oil related problem yet
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »
I've used Castrol in all my motorcycles since 1969.

tweedy-bunch