Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How To: Install the factory top box  (Read 26998 times)

Offline mgmoto

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Pittsford, NY
How To: Install the factory top box
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:15:08 am »
The directions provided by Triumph for installing the Top Box contains errors that will waste your time. I hope to make it more clear with these instructions.

Before you start, make sure you have the following part numbers:

Top Box T2351028
Cover A9508156
Sliding Carriage A9508161

Go to the web page to download the official instructions which I will base my steps on:

http://www.triumphinstructions.com/default.aspx

Enter the following part number to get the right set.

A9508161

You will need the following tools:
#2 Phillips
#3 Phillips
T-20 Torx
T-30 Torx
5mm Hex
12 mm socket
13 mm socket
3” socket extension
Straight metal pick
Diagonal cut pliers
The directions steps start on Page 3 of the directions. I’ve added comments to each step where needed so you don’t need the factory service manual.

Step by Step
Step 1: 5 mm hex to remove the cover, #3 Phillips to remove the negative terminal
Step 2: Remove the 3 cover bolts with the 5 mm hex
Step 3: There are six bolts you remove with the 13 mm socket. Works a little easier with a 3” extension. The bolts heads are pretty thin so it’s very easy for the socket to slip off. Keep pressure straight down. The picture shows the locations of the 6 bolts with yellow arrows. The red arrows are where the new carriage bolts attach. 

You also have to remove the seat latch bolt to fully remove the luggage rack. This is a T-30 torx. The factory used thread lock so it does not come out that easy. The latch is under a little tension so it will immediately spin over then the bolt comes out. It really only goes back together one way so it’s not a problem.

Step 4; You have to remove the side panel first with the 5 mm hex and pull upward and outward. The left rear panel has three 5 mm hex to remove and three body plugs underneath. Use the #2 phillips to unscrew them and use your fingernail to pull the plugs
Step 5: Only remove the right side panel, no need to remove the rear panel
Steps 6 – 8: No comments
Step 9: You have the squeeze along the front side of the blanking plug to get cover off
Steps 10 – 15: No comments but here is a picture to help

Step 16: This is the single biggest mistake in the Triumph directions. If you install the rack now, you won’t be able to put the left rear cover back on. Instead, put a towel or other protector and lay the rack slightly rearward of where it goes. Now go ahead and install the left rear cover and the left side cover. Remove the towel then install the rack with just four bolts and torque to 20 foot pounds. Cover the rack with a towel and place the carriage upside down

Step 17: There is no picture in the directions but terminal block can only be installed one way. Add a dab or dialectric grease when you slide the end of the connector into each hole. See the picture here:

Step 18: Use a T-20 torx to install the sub-connector harness bolt
Step 19: The bolts also use a T-20
Step 20 – 21: No comments
Step 22: Use the 12 mm socket on these bolts and also torque to 20 foot pounds.
Step 25: The relay can only be installed one way. This was the reason you removed the right side cover.

Step 26: You need to refit the left rear panel on Step 16. You can’t get to two of three bolts if the luggage rack is already installed.
Step 27: No comment
Step 28: You may need to use a straight pick to slightly lift up the negative terminal nut so the screw will start to thread.

To install the Top Box cover you need to use the T-20 again and I would recommend using the metal pick to line up the only screw not around the perimeter. The plastic is flexible and you can insert the screw without catching the cover if you are not careful. I also recommend putting a little dialectric grease on the two pins on the box itself. This will help prevent corrosion and give you a good connection to the carriage.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:33:48 am by Ad »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: How To: Install the factory top box
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:10:02 am »
Hi mgmotoo,

:460:

An excellent "HOW TO" - Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this for your fellow Trophy Owners  :028:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:45:57 am by Coconut »

Offline mgmoto

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:15:17 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
Hi mgmotoo,

:460:

An excellent "HOW TO" - Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this for your fellow Trophy Owners  :028:

Thanks.

I'm happy to help. Over the years I have not only gotten great directions from forums for the KLR, V-Strom and my classic car, but they also gave me confidence to do things myself.

I hope the tackle the heated grips the next rainy weekend and post a how-to for that.

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:13 pm »
 :046: :152: :020: THANK YOU !!!!   I got my top box in today at 1030 hrs.  and with the help of your instructions I was able to do what the dealer said would take 4.5 hours at 104.00 an hour in about 1.5 hours    GREAT DIRECTIONS sir...!!!!!  Now next project my heated grips on next day off
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline mgmoto

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:41:33 pm »
*Originally Posted by kniterider [+]
:046: :152: :020: THANK YOU !!!!   I got my top box in today at 1030 hrs.  and with the help of your instructions I was able to do what the dealer said would take 4.5 hours at 104.00 an hour in about 1.5 hours    GREAT DIRECTIONS sir...!!!!!  Now next project my heated grips on next day off

Happy to help Kniterider. I've yet to install the heated grips even though I could have used them last night. The dealer quoted 4 hours to install the grips but most people here have said 90 minutes or less. I plan to tackle them when my driveway gets sealed and the Trophy is held captive in the garage for 2 days.

Seems like some dealers are trying to make up selling the bike at a good price by trying to overcharge for accessory installation. To be fair, they gave me 15% off the accessories and offered a one time labor rate of $75 for installation.

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 04:42:55 am »
i just received top box, am waiting on color matched lid and sliding carriage.......... pretty excited, and I def will be studying instructions here.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 04:05:31 pm »
*Originally Posted by mgmoto [+]

Step 17: There is no picture in the directions but terminal block can only be installed one way. Add a dab or dialectric grease when you slide the end of the connector into each hole. See the picture here:

Thank you so much for the write up.  I have not yet found a service manual so your instructions were invaluable.  The photo above was my only source of confusion.  It looks like you fed the wire through the sliding mount instead of leaving it underneath so when you flip it the wire is in the correct place.  Am I just not seeing this right?

Here are my photos of that step.

Admin edit:  picturetrail images dead or deleted so links removed

Offline mgmoto

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:40:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by twowheeladdict [+]
Thank you so much for the write up.  I have not yet found a service manual so your instructions were invaluable.  The photo above was my only source of confusion.  It looks like you fed the wire through the sliding mount instead of leaving it underneath so when you flip it the wire is in the correct place.  Am I just not seeing this right?

Here are my photos of that step.

Admin edit:  picturetrail images dead or deleted so links removed

Thanks for including additional pictures.

The picture I posted is before you put the cover plate on. I wanted to show the location of the black and red wires so I pushed the wires to the left so you could better see the terminals. I then folded the wires back to the right so I could install the plate and wire ties as you show in your picture. I should have included a second picture like yours to make it more clear.