Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Thinking about a change  (Read 4286 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Thinking about a change
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:18 pm »
I love my Trophy I really do, but after a 500+ quid hit for my 10,000 miles service at only 6000 miles (cos its 10,000 or 1 year), Im still smarting, and really am not looking forward to the next service.

Anyway my local Triumph dealer is doing the Explorer with 3 years/18000 miles free servicing and accessories worth +900 quid.

Looking to the future, it seems like a decent deal.  I havent tried the Explorer yet, so cant even decide on the ride difference.  I know some of you  have come from the Explorer, so why should I / shouldnt I look at this offer?

G
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Dutchie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: silver mothership
  • City / Town: Amersfoort
Re: Thinking about a change
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:08:07 pm »
What makes you think the Explorer will be that much cheaper to run? If you want to save significant money on maintenance and such I think you will have to change to a lighter bike (Tiger 800 f.e.)

After having owned 6 allroads (no Explorer though) I'm so pleased with the wind protection,  the absence of buffeting and with the stability with panniers at motorway speeds.

Why don't you take a demo Explorer for a long spin?

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:24:35 pm »
I will take a demo ride this weekend coming. Just wondering on other's experiences.  I also ride in winter and found the Trophy a great winter ride BUT hard to keep clean compared to my previous Pan.

I'm also wondering about the weight difference as I have some difficulty with the weight of the Trophy since a back op and shoulder op.

Wouldnt want to go for the Tiger as I like the power of the big engine.

thanks

G
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:31:11 pm »
If you ride solo, it's the explorer. 2 up, it's the TT.

:017: That's my input. :001:

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »
Plenty of explorer v trophy threads on here most coming down strongly in favour trophy. Re weight I found the explorer harder to get off side stand than trophy not good for your shoulder. Your service was a rip off. Must be better value available if you shop around maybe independents.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:27 am »
Nothing wrong with a change. I usually change my bikes out every 2 or 3 years, keeps the riding fresh and the interest high.

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:21:37 am »
the Explorer and trophy have the same engine so the cost of service will be about the same....Explorer just has less electronics on it. There is more aftermarket stuff for the explorer. Had one for about a year but only did 5000k on it before the TT.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:57 am »
I think if you do only on the road touring you'll find that a Trophy for you. If you go off road then you may find Explorer  more suitable.  I have had a number of people tell me that despite its name, the Explorer, is not for full on touring. At least not for the thousands of miles at a trip type.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch