Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: No power, guessing battery  (Read 5513 times)

Offline dolfanbolt

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Lake Charles La
No power, guessing battery
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:25:01 am »
First time bike has sat for 3 days.  Went to start it and have no, zero power.  I have not put a meter on it yet.  Can I jump it with a regular car jumpbox?  Have not looked up what type of battery is on the bike.  I am right at 500 miles ,  nearest shop 3 hours away, was planning on bringing in for first service, in two weeks.
  Any advice appreciated.  New 2013 Triumph Trophy , just purchased new old stock.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: No power, guessing battery
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:19 am »
Don't see why not.  Car...motorcycle ...both 12 volts
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:25:19 am »
No reason why you can't "jump" start it but you might find it difficult attaching crocodile clips
to the small battery terminals as there isn't much room to manoeuvre !

When you go the the Dealer get them to check if the Audio Module software update has been done -
this being the #1 cause of flattened batteries on U.S. spec Trophy's due to the audio system remaining powered up
and searching for a signal after the Ignition has been turned off - the software update fixes this  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:26:19 am »
Is it the SE model with audio? and if so has it had the software update? No way it should be flat if only stood for 3 days. Mine has stood unridden for 3 weeks when on holiday and started first turn and the battery is 2 years old!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:50 am »
So dolfanbolt, by purchasing a 2013 "New Old Stock" bike you'll also have got a two year old battery, which unless they kept charging it at "regular intervals", will be quite heavily sulphated and will not be able to hold any charge....

The Dealer should at least have fitted a New Battery for you..

A New Battery should solve the "Holding Charge" problem but the Audio Upgrade is also essential to prevent the Audio Unit from draining the battery, due to a Software problem
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:56:04 am »
*Originally Posted by dolfanbolt [+]
First time bike has sat for 3 days.  Went to start it and have no, zero power.  I have not put a meter on it yet.  Can I jump it with a regular car jumpbox?  Have not looked up what type of battery is on the bike.  I am right at 500 miles ,  nearest shop 3 hours away, was planning on bringing in for first service, in two weeks.
  Any advice appreciated.  New 2013 Triumph Trophy , just purchased new old stock.
If you take a car jumpbox apart, guess what you will see? A motorcycle battery. Or something very close to it. Depending on your cycle battery size and how the battery used in the jumpbox sizes up, you might be able to take the jumpbox apart and use its battery as a cycle battery. Even in your TTSE.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:48:20 pm »
No ALL Jump Starter Packs are the same....
Being a big fan of Lithium Ferro Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries I got one of these - it was offer from my Bike Insurer

But how to Test it ?
Well I stuck a known duff Lead Acid 14Ah battery (only 10 Volts at the Terminals and hadn't been charged for at least 6 months) into my MkI Trophy 900 - a bike with an Upgraded Sprag Clutch and hadn't itself been started in two weeks - and attached the Fully Charged Jump Start Kit to the Battery Terminals, Fuel Tap to PRIME for 30 seconds, turned on the Ignition and pressed the Starter Button.
Fired Up straight away...
I actually repeated the Start Up 6 more times just to make sure....

Really amazing bit of kit.
If and when I go off on Long Tours I'll be taking this bit of Kit with me as I'm certain it will easily cope with a TTSE
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline dolfanbolt

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Lake Charles La
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 01:51:00 pm »
thanks for all the info, emailed dealer this morning to check on whether he knows if audio update was done.  I am pretty sure, if memory serves me correct, they said they put a new battery in it when purchased.