Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How To: Install a Mini Tank Bag  (Read 6212 times)

Offline mgmoto

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Pittsford, NY
How To: Install a Mini Tank Bag
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:04 pm »
How to: Install a Mini Tank Bag   

I was looking for a tank bag that was smaller than the factory bag. I also confirmed with Givi that the Tank Lock system does not work on the Trophy because the gas cap is slightly recessed in the tank trim panel. I was not sure what to get so I just decided to order the Nelson Rigg CL 2010-ST because it looked to be about the right fit and was under $40 on Amazon. I spent about 30 min with most of the time wasted getting the length of the straps right and futzing with the front trim bracket. Follow these instructions and you can get it to 15 minutes or so.

To get started, here is what you will need:

Nelson Rigg CL 2010 ST - Strap version
5 mm hex
Straight pick
Scissors
Lighter

Step 1: Remove the seat

Step 2: Remove the bolts at the bottom of the tank panel

Step 3: Remove the bolts at the top of the tank panel

Step 4: Remove the tank trim panel and place on a towel to avoid scratching the surface.

Step 5: Shorten the straps. The bag comes with two straps that you need to shorten by about 7-10 inches. This will still leave you plenty if you decide to re-use the straps on another bike.  I tried to adjust one end so I only had to make one cut. Try to make the total distance of 17-18” from buckle to buckle. Don’t measure from the end of the buckle, but rather, just the final length of the strap itself. If you cut the strap, just hit the cut end with a lighter briefly to melt the end to keep it from fraying over time

Step 6: Remove the rubber plugs on the tank panel. The two on the bottom pop out really easy, but the single top one requires a little more effort.

Step 7: Thread the straps through the openings. The single top opening is slightly smaller than the buckle itself, but with a little gentle pressure, it will pop through. The buckles easily slide through the bottom opening. You run the straps front to back.

Step 8: Set the tank trim panel back on the bike. As you do, you need to tuck the straps between the tank ring and side panels so they don’t interfere with the trim panel sitting properly. You should have enough slack and the plastic clips on the strap just need to be tucked out of the way.

Step 9: Start the left top bolt first. Fitting the trim panel to the front plate is a challenge because it moves around. Being right handed, I found it easiest to use my left finger to hold the plate in place in place under the trim. I used the straight pick to line up the plate with the hole in the trim. Then I started to thread the bolt with my right hand. Just make sure it’s started a few turns but not tight to make it easier to put in the right top bolt.

Step 10: Install the right top bolt loose

Step 11: Install both bottom bolts and then finish tightening the top bolts

Step 12: Pop the bottom plugs back in. They are a little looser than they were before because of the thickness of the strap so just keep an eye on them before you ride.

The panel is now installed. When you are not using the tank bag, the clips are pretty unobtrusive and look like they belong there.

Here is the finished view. You’ll notice that I installed the bag backward. I put the narrow end forward with the handle by the seat. This keeps the bag away from handlebars but will still hit slightly. I find it easiest to unclip the rear clips when filling the gas. There is just enough slack to rest the bag on one of the handlebars.

I'm happy that I can fit my cold weather gloves and phone and a few other things easily inside.

Good luck.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: How To: Install a Mini Tank Bag
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:59 am »
Another great write-up : Cheers  :821:

Online Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01:35 am »
very neat!  :047:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
Great write up.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »
A nicely written up HOW TO giving us another option for additional storage
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:45:29 pm »
Great neat solution  :047: thanks for sharing  :047: off to ebay  :062:
It wasn't me !!

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »
Thanks for that great write up I use the glove box for my phone as I can keep it on charge with the power socket but I like the idea of a small tank bag mainly for the map pocket. I like to have a list of road numbers and stop off points as I can only remember one at a time  these days :087:

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:01:43 am »
 :047:
Very nice write-up, mgmoto! Thanks!