Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Why don't my devices charge when plugged in on the bike  (Read 6364 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
Why don't my devices charge when plugged in on the bike
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:32:35 pm »
When I plugged in my GoPro to charge in the trunk, the red charging light was very very dim and after a few hours of riding it hardly charged at all. Same with my Samsung phone. Takes for ever to charge up. In my car these devices charge normally like it's plugged into the wall socket.

Is there something wrong with my electrical system or is this just normal that I can't charge anything while plugged into the bike?

Thanks

Colin

"sorry should have put in Electrical department"  mod, please move there, thanks.

< Moved as requested >
Trophy Moderator
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:47:18 pm by Trophy Moderator »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Why don't my devices charge when plugged in on the bike
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »
ColinM

I charge the batteries on the Go Pro charger in the top box I found that the batteries were coming loose so I hold them in place with an elastic band. I also charge the iPad in the top box and phone in the glove compartment.

So far haven't had a problem.

May be worth checking the go pro connections. Do you charge the batteries separate out of the camera or just power thru the camera.

seadog

seadog

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:00:15 pm »
I have an older gopro and charge through the camera. I don't have any other way of charging it that came with the camera. You mention batteries as in more than one. Mine is like a cell phone battery. Like I said, it charges fine every where else, just not on the bike. the charge light on the front of the camera is very bright when charging anywhere but the bike and on the bike it is very dim.

I have to take it in to get the software updated for the battery drain problem so I'll have them look at that while I'm there.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:09:10 pm »
I find the receptacle in the top box is a loose fit.  One charger will not make good contact at all and the other will make contact but is a sloppy connection.  I pack stuff around it so the charger won't shift.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:44:06 am »
Colin and Atrophy

Agree. It is a sloppy connection for the cigaret light type plug. I too have to ensure a solid connection. Plus there is no way to check it is charging whilst riding. A usb type connection as in the glove box would have been a benefit.

Good idea to check the supply and draw down when in the shop.

seadog
seadog

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:27:41 am »
Note that there are two different types of "Socket" used ....

The one by the Rider's knee and the one for the pillion are slightly different and use a "Hella" DIN type plug,
whereas those in the Glove Box and Top Box ( Trunk ) are a "Cigar lighter" type.

Some Plugs come with a removable Adapter to allow a DIN Plug to be used in a Cigar socket,
but without the adapter, if you connect a DIN Plug into a Cigar socket it will be loose  :169:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:22:48 am by Coconut »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:30:28 am »
coconut

Thanks. I need to check when I get home next week. But I am sure the charger plug on my go pro is a normal 12v cigarette plug. Plus I do have a 12v cigaret plug with 2 USB connectors and it is a little loose. But does work.

seadog
seadog

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:31 pm »
On a recent trip I forgot to take the DIN type plug which I normaly use at the end of the day and even overnight to charge stuff up,so had to buy a standard cigar type 12v plug, my Kindle requires 2ma to charge up , found one and it would not charge on the move,  it was too loose in the top box socket and worked out, a couple of slivers of wood to pack it out and hold it tight and I kept the phone, Kindle, tablet, and camera charged for a month away.