Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Gravel  (Read 7357 times)

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Playa del Rey, CA
Gravel
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:08:08 am »
Riding the SE on a narrow country road, the asphalt ended and I had to turn around, and abandon my trip, or ride through a maybe twenty-five yards of gravel on hard dirt, before the pavement resumed. The SE's not a dirt bike. but we got past that unharmed, with maybe a little bit of lateral movement from the rear tire. Arriving at our destination, the driveway partly paved, with fifty or a hundred feet of uneven and eroded dirt and gravel surface. After thinking about it for a moment, I parked on the asphalt entrance and hiked the hundred yards or so to the top. I've seen photos of off-road racers on rigid-framed Harleys and Indians, so I thought it could be done, but not by me. Maybe on a DP or a lighter, lower road bike, even a mountain bike, but not on my Trophy. any comments?

Offline littleade

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: worcestershire
Re: Gravel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:18 am »
Discretion is the better part of valour!

It would take a fraction of a second for things to go belly up but you'd be anoyed for ages so I think you made the correct choice  :046:

If it helps I recently did a days course with Trailquest in the uk off road on a Tiger 800xcx and they teach you to not use the throttle at all once you're moving on level ground and to let the bike pull slowly at tickover and if you want to go faster just select a higher gear. Obvioysly going uphill you'd need to use a bit of throttle but only enough to let the bike move without straining the engine. Using the front brake was also best avoided. Take it nice and slow was their mantra.

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Playa del Rey, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 12:58:47 am »

My brother and I used to take our Lambretta TV175 off-road, in places where it was never meant to go, but we had fun and never worried about it. The extra four hundred pounds and the extensive body work make a difference. It's true. The bigger ones do fall harder, velocity times mass.
Thank you for your encouragement.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 01:27:41 am »
I have been on many gravel and clay/dirt roads on the trophy as needed. It is good for a heavy bike, no dramas except at some wet slippery clay roadworks. Unmade car parks should be treated with respect though, as at walking pace it is easier to drop the bike

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:56:19 am »
thomasp48

I agree with your trepidation. Once parked up in York in a new car park but of gravel. Didn't have a camels foot at the time. When I got back the bike had lent over to a ridiculous angle but stayed upright. I did have a job getting it out of that situation.

I have since carry a camels foot device which I just throw under the side stand if in gravel car parks.

As other members have said treat with caution keep off the front brake ride really slow and park up facing outwards if possible. It is a big bike to push out and thats when your foot slips on the loose gravel and she's down.

On rough roads as I do a bit of single track roads and some are in bad condition again think positive and negotiate slowly in low gear.

Hartside cafe carpark is terrible. Thats where I laid it down. :003:  Since then been back and treat with new respect.

Thats my penny's worth  :002:

seadog

seadog

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 03:51:45 pm »
Well I have encountered a couple of situations where paved roads have turned rough with dirt, gravel/stone and I didn't want to retrace my steps due to the long distance.  The Trophy can be ridden on dirt but it certainly wouldn't be by choice.  Although I road my ST to Alaska, not the Trophy, the fact remains there are places (at least in the States) where you won't have the choice if you want to complete your journey. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline littleade

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:33:34 pm »
A little tip if you don't have your camels foot and park somewhere dodgy. Have a look in the bins for an empty drinks can...or buy a full one. When its empty put it down and stamp on tbe top so you have a nice circular plate to put under your sidestand. Saw the spaniards do it at Jerez on gbe grass and it worked brilliantly. Plus don't park too close down stream of someone who hasn't just in case.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 05:38:47 pm »
That is a good tip! :028:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch