Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 5367 times)

Offline thatchh

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Seattle
Hello Everyone
« on: June 10, 2015, 07:30:56 am »
Hi Folks,
This is thatchh from Seattle USA.  I bought a new TTSE a little over a week ago. Until tonight I was very pleased with it. Smooth, handles well, stops well, lots of cool features. I took a weekend trip last weekend, so was overdue for the 500 mile service.(1100 miles) The dealer couldn't get to it for a week, so I decided to change the oil myself.  What drained out looks very bad to me. It is a dull brown color and has the appearance of being filled with gold metalflake. I'm afraid I have something disintegrating inside the engine. It runs and sounds fine, but I have no good reference. I followed all the guidelines on the sticker for break-in. I will post the question on another part of the forum, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm a bit shocked right now as I can imagine a drawn out resolution. I am hoping for the best, but would love it if it turns out "they all do that". I did hear what I thought was quite a bit of gear whine in the drive train, but didn't know what's normal.
  Anyway, in the meantime, I'm not without wheels as I have a 2007 Tiger 1050, a 2010 Honda VFR 1200F (non auto trans) and a 92 Suzuki GSX1100G (probably one of the best motorcycles ever) that I bought new and was planning to replace with the Trophy after 23 years of "marriage". I hope to report more fun things in the future. My first trip of 660 miles in two days was a lot of fun, and the Trophy was performing to my expectations.
Thatch in Seattle
Thatch in Seattle
2014 Trophy SE
2010 VFR1200F
2007 Tiger 1050

Offline thatchh

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Seattle
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:17:39 am »
I did find one string that mentioned milky or flaky break-in oil. I guess most owners don't see it since they have the dealer do it.  I am hoping that's all I'm seeing. Any reassurance would be welcome.
Thatch
Thatch in Seattle
2014 Trophy SE
2010 VFR1200F
2007 Tiger 1050

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:22:08 am »
G'day Thatchh

Welcome to the Forum.

Last things first the drive train does have gear whine and is no problem. I didn't see the run-in oil at change out at 800km on my bike but suspect it would be brown and dirty. No too sure of gold fleck in the oil as the internal components are steel or aluminium alloy. Suggest (if you haven't already) changing oil and filter and giving the bike a little run. Triumph these days are pretty well put together machines; enjoy the experience.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline littleade

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:00:20 am »
If you still have the old oil it would be worth showing the dealer and if they tell you it's normal send a photo to Triumph asking them to confirm all is ok so if you do have problems in the future you have a record that you raised this issue on what is a brand new bike, though hopefully its nothing to worry about. Might be worth dropping a magnet in the oil to see if there's any metal swarf in there. Good luck.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:19:14 am »
Hi thatchh and :400: to the Club !

All good advice that - I can't really add anthing, other than to expect the first oil drain to be "dirty",
that's why they specify it to be changed after the first 500 miles, once all the rubbish
left inside the engine by the manufacturing process has been flushed through into the sump.

I'd definitely consult the Dealer to see what they say, but wouldn't worry unduly.

Cheers  :821:

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:36 am »
Thatchh

Without being chastised and not knowing the state of my oil when it had its first service I would say it is doing its job. But check with your dealer if overly concerned.

My dealer uses Motul products and Motil oil is a reddish/Brown colour. Recently prior to my next trip it went in for a mini service and they changed the oil as a matter of course. It does look metallically and the tech said it was dirty 9500miles but it is doing what it is supposed to do.

When I checked the new oil in the sight glass again slightly reddish/brown and metallically. You did mention "milky"  you don't want milky oil that is another problem.

I hope and sure it is OK

Enjoy the bike it is brilliant

seadog
seadog

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:49:49 pm »
Hi Thatch and welcome :400:

I won't chip in on the oil subject as I think everyone has given sound advice. Don't worry, be happy! You have a TTSE! :047:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »
 :400: to the forum.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies