More fun in the sun here in Iowa by iowabikerider
[Today at 10:01:06 am]

2015 trophy se keeps blowing tse fuse by Hopper
[Today at 08:21:21 am]

Onen Hag Oll by Coconut
[Today at 08:02:48 am]

Garmin zumo 660 and Tomtom Rider 400 by Stefra
[Today at 05:33:10 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Install Front Fender Extender  (Read 5200 times)

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
Install Front Fender Extender
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:39:19 pm »
What experiences are out there with installing a front fender extender? I'm not so mechanically inclined, have no special tools, and I'm wondering if it's a simple job or something I should trust only to an authorized dealer?

Also, is it even worth it? Meaning, to what extent does an extender protect the underside?

This is what I'm considering: http://www.pure-triumph.com/p-3797-triumph-trophy-fenda-extenda-056524.aspx

Any thoughts/pictures you can share or point me to is appreciated!

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Install Front Fender Extender
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 02:57:20 pm »
YES it is worth it. Really does keep a lot of gunk off the front of the bike. I used 3M two sided auto trim tape to mount mine. Make sure both surfaces are clean and wax free. I used a cloth with denatured alcohol (lacquer thinner) to clean both surfaces, applied the tape to the extender and pressed it to the fender. Been on there for at least 3000 miles, rain and shine and it is as tight as ever. You can get the tape at any auto place such as Auto Zone etc. Again I will emphasize having CLEAN surfaces. I hate to drill holes in things and this tape really is good stuff. My bike did not come with the rear extension installed so I installed one myself. I used the 3M tape and it is still doing fine after 22,000 miles.

Offline Blazer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: County Durham
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:44:07 pm »
Very easy to fit yourself, not only does it keep the underside cleaner, it also keeps the crud off your downpipes and radiator, it works even better if you attach a mudflap (about £5 in UK) to it. It extends it by another 4-6 inches and keeps your boots dry when riding in the rain. I superglued mine to the fenderextender before fitting it to the mudguard

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:32:55 pm »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 08:48:17 pm »
The difference between the two is ...... $10 !  :745:

AFAIK there is only one version of the Part - so go for the Cheaper one  :028:

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 08:54:21 pm »
The picture of the 'oem' part indicates it has Triumph stamped on it (part of the plastic mold I'm guessing) but the aftermarket part looks smooth with no markings, which leads one to wonder whether quality is the same (e.g., the material thickness, construction, etc.).

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »
I never had a genuine Triumph one to compare the mounting holes, but the only visible difference is the Triumph name on the OEM.  I think that may be kind of neat actually, but I got my Fenda Extenda before I even knew there was an OEM, because I had one on both my BMW's.  Short answer, it is a GREAT help to keep crud off the radiator and downpipes, but I still installed the radiator and downpipe guards as well due to rocks on the road here in the hill country.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
Just ordered a carbon fiber one from bluebird engineering for $35 shipped.  Takes a while to arrive from Spain, but usually not too bad a wait.  I've gotten them for my other bikes and like them a lot.  Functionally equivalent, but adds a bit of absolutely unnecessary bling. :002:

Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).