Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Social ride  (Read 2041 times)

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Social ride
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »
Not really a ride report but went on a IAM social ride around the Cotswolds.  It was a bit cool at the start but got better with the sun being out.  Met up at the first coffee stop (just outside Burford) after a blat over with a friend on his BMW adventurer.  We were both two up.  My pillion had to turn down the heated seat as it got too hot.  The BMW pillion was just cold????

I had put the bike on comfort when I remembered (from sport) which the pillion thought was a lot better.  At the first stop I also chose pillion loading (this has to be done when stationary) and she thouhgt it was better again.  I am about 13stone and she is only about 8st so I thought it would not matter but perhaps it helps with where the loads are as well as just actual load.

There were about 25 bikes in all obviously a nice dry day for the summer riders to get the bikes out.  We run the drop off system at junctions so you get to move about in the group.

She used the side grab bars rather than the love handles and only nutted me once when the car in fron t did an emergency stop to try to make a turn they had missed (we had also just been accelerating away).

We were out for about 4 hours with the coffee stop and a lunch stop in Bourton on the Water.

The only thing that went wrong was that her heaset came unplugged from the Sena SMH5 and she kept pressing the intercom to see if it would wake up, which kept cutting the music off for me.  The clamp for the headset is a bit low on the Arai and the cables catch on her jacket.  I will probably use the sticky pad in the future to move it up a bit.  My headset worked fine.  I did not try the SR10 and bike to bike.

I found that with a pillion and on that suspension setting the bike felt a bit top heavy and seemed to drop into a couple of very slow speed corners when I did not expect.  If I kept on top of it all was fine.

When we got  back she was saying how good and comfy it was  :046: which was the real reason for buying for the next big trip to France in July.

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: Social ride
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »
I'll bite, I have seen mention of it several times on this forum. What is  the IAM :027:
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tropy 59 [+]
I'll bite, I have seen mention of it several times on this forum. What is  the IAM :027:

Hi,

Have a look http://www.iam.org.uk/riders

Cheers

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »
I am sure there are others on this forum but I am an Observer with the IAM in particular Milton Keynes Advanced motrocyclists.
Meet first Sunday of every month and go for a ride.  The one above was one of the monthly social rides.

John

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
I'll join you one Sunday John.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »
On a Sprint. 

Only kidding hope you get your bike back soon all fixed.  I was on the sprint yesterday and was surprised how leant forward it seemed to be?  How breezy and I have the taller screen on the sprint.  Also noisy.  It is very responsive though perhaps it feels more responsive because you realise how fast you are going because of the breeze.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
My arms and chest were battered on it and I still have the ride back to go! You just do not realise how protective of the elements the Trophy is until you ride a sports bike.

I agree that you feel more at one with the elements on that type of bike but I would much rather commute and tour in the comfort that the Trophy gives me. 
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch