Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Ride to Blue Ridge Pwky (want to)  (Read 7328 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
Ride to Blue Ridge Pwky (want to)
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:00 pm »
So, sitting around watching tv all of a sudden the wife says "How about we go on a bike trip (2up) for our holidays in July..  I almost fell of my chair. 2 years ago we went from Toronto to Cabot Trail (Nova Scotia) on a Harley, but since then hasn't gone for another ride. After the trip I heard her on the phone talking to her friends about the great experience and how she had a fantastic time.

I was thinking of the Blue Ridge Parkway which I have not done and sounds like a great trip. I'll be heading down from Toronto and we are looking for a trip of about 5 to 9 days. so if anyone has any ideas about routes to take or best parts to visit, hotels to stay at, where to eat etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Colin

Offline OHRider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 TIGER XRx
  • City / Town: Warren, OH
Re: Ride to Blue Ridge Pwky (want to)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:37:27 pm »
Pick up US Route 250 in Wheeling WV and ride it to Staunton VA the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. 250 is a great ride. BRP is one of my favorite rides.
Al Navecky Jr
2016 TIGER XRx
2007 KLR
1973 BMW R75/5
1972 TC 90

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »
Wow! Where do I start and how much time do you have? I have ridden the BRP every year since 1976 and it never gets old. I just returned from a ride on Skyline Drive which is the northern end. My first trip took me five days because I had to stop at every overlook and check out every sight along the way. I now usually do it in three days at a easy pace. Speed limit on Skyline drive is 35mph and the BRP is 45mph. This may seem a bit slow, but the scenery and wildlife make these speeds a must if you want to enjoy and be safe. I never understood the people who want to get up there and run as fast as they can, we have freeways for that, go ride on them. Weekends will have heavier traffic which is not always a problem, but takes your attention away from the scenery. Deer are everywhere and they are not shy, they will come into your path and just stand there. I had to come to a stop and flash my lights twice last week. Flashing the lights seemed to get them to move better than honking the horn. There is no gasoline available on the Parkway, but you never have to travel far to find gas once you are off the BRP. As far as places to stay and food to enjoy the list is almost endless and I am sure more folks will chime in with their favorite spots. One of my favorites is the Lakeview Restaurant at Fancy Gap, Virginia. This is where route 52 crosses the BRP. Another favorite area to eat and stay is in Maggie Valley, North Carolina near the southern end of the BRP. This is also the home of the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum. Oh yeah, take raingear. You will most surely have some rain, not always heavy and not always long lasting, but it does rain a lot up there. Another weather issue is the fog. I live in Ohio and I thought I knew what thick fog looked like. I was wrong. They can and do get ZERO visibility conditions. Also be prepared for cool weather even during July and August. I have went from cool weather gear to rain gear to summer gear many times in just a span of a few hours. Enjoy the BRP and if you are like me and many others it may just become a MUST DO ride every year. The pic is at the entrance to Skyline Drive. My buddy Dane on his Burgman scooter, my son on his Shadow, and my Trophy.

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:15:33 pm »
Great information, thank you. 250 looks like a great route.  Thanks Navydad

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:37:19 pm »
Awesome.  As NavyDad said, there is a northern extension to the BRP that begins in Front Royal, Virginia.  It is a fee road ($10) and offers some great scenery of the Shenandoah Valley.  About 108 miles in length at 35 mph.

Mile Post 0 of the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) begins at Interstate 64 near Waynesboro, Virginia.  The end at Mile Post 468 is just outside Cherokee, North Carolina on US 441.  You can go to http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map.php for a map.

At Mile Post 171 is the Chateau Morrisette Winery.  A great stop to stretch your legs and grab a bite to eat.

A little north of Asheville, NC is Little Switzerland.  Definitely worth a stop.  For lodging, you may want to check ahead of time.

I'll second the recommendation of staying in Maggie Valley, NC which is near the end of the BRP.  The A Holiday Motel is our choice as the couple that runs it (Rob and Gabi) are both avid motorcycle riders and cater to the m/c community.  http://holidaymotel.net/

If you want to go high end on the lodging, there is no better place than the Historic Tapoco Lodge. http://tapocolodge.com/  It is our favorite place to stay.  5-star food each night and great location of just 3 miles from the Tail of the Dragon.

Once you reach the southern end, you are right in the middle of some fantastic riding.  The Tail of the Dragon is a short ride away from Maggie Valley as is the Cherohala Skyway (my fave), the Hellbender, the Rattlesnake and many, many others.  Wayah Rd is also another favorite.

Enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:40:08 pm by tdragger »
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:18:28 am »
NavyDad has it down! Listen to him and you will be happy!  :152:
Serial BMW rider

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 04:54:47 am »
Oh hell yes..... BRP rocks, I rode 100 miles or so on the south end. Awesome riding, and there are so many other great roads to ride. Ashville NC is one of the nicest cleanest cities around. You cannot go wrong with that ride. i am gonna ride more of the BRP as soon as possible....

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 05:41:17 am »
I try to make it up there at least twice a year if I can get away from work. Usually in June and in October for the fall colors and the chili festival in Bryson City, NC. I'm heading up there on Monday for a weeks worth of riding those wonderful mountain roads. I usually shoot video from a camera mounted on the bike, but I managed to make a helmet mount for my video camera this year that I'll be trying out on this trip.

tweedy-bunch