Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: garmin 660lm 95% full after first update  (Read 6462 times)

Offline mark4252

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: kansas
garmin 660lm 95% full after first update
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:57:57 pm »
I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong, right out of the box there was an update which I did and when done it said I was 95% full. Did I do anything wrong on the update. I will add an memory card but I just thought it was a little strange to almost be full after the first update. I'm still struggling with how to program it so i'm watching a lot of youtube videos. One thing I liked about my old street pilot was the background was yellow making it easier for me to see in the day and when I look at the ad's for the 660 it shows yellow background but mine is white which isn't as easy to see in the day time. I guess that is two questions, was the memory almost full normal after first update and anyway to get the background yellow? All i found was something about themes but that didn't include the 660. Thanks for the help and I did have the dealer install mine, from this site I had seen something about putting the fuse behind the mirror which sounded good to me and taping the audio connection course they didn't do that  :110:

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
Re: garmin 660lm 95% full after first update
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:54 pm »
I don't have answers to your questions, but I'm certainly interested in seeing pictures of the installed product as I'm considering having my local T dealer add this very same accessory. And I have some questions for you: Did you purchase the Triumph bracket? What is the issue with a fuse behind the mirror? and taping an audio cable? Where did you purchase it / did you find a good deal?

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:42:45 am »
the garmin only has so much space for storage. if you put in all the maps you will run out of space. just put in the maps that you may need. i carry a lap top with me and install the required maps as needed.

Offline GolforRide

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Coquitlam
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:19:27 am »
Get an 8gb mini sd card I will hold the maps and I have over 500 songs saved to the card also
Please take my opinion, I'm not using it!!!

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:01:07 am »
*Originally Posted by mark4252 [+]
I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong, right out of the box there was an update which I did and when done it said I was 95% full. Did I do anything wrong on the update. I will add an memory card but I just thought it was a little strange to almost be full after the first update.
I wouldn't think anything of it. I have done Garmin updates where I did NOT have enough room (older used unit, however) and had to add a SD card and leave it in there in order to update and use the GPS.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:53:22 am »
The 660 is notorious for having minimal internal memory and so having to keep adding and removing maps if you go further afield.

Also the Garmin Express software that you use to update maps is poor in that you often have to sit for ages with the 660 allegedly updating before eventually it told you there wasn't enough internal memory and would you like to put it on an SD card? You then have to sit for ages again!!!

This is one of many reasons why I upgraded to a 590 which has enough internal memory for all of Europe!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 02:30:44 pm »
An 8gb micro SD card is what, $15? With that added, you can put everything you want on it including maps for all of NA or all of Europe. The 660 will manage the storage between the internal memory and the SD card. And, BTW, the latest version of the Garmin Explorer works much more efficiently than past versions and allows for updating your device or computer maps.  :062:
Serial BMW rider

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 06:33:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
The 660 is notorious for having minimal internal memory and so having to keep adding and removing maps if you go further afield.
<<<Snippage>>>

This is one of many reasons why I upgraded to a 590 which has enough internal memory for all of Europe!

Cropbiker, Quick question on 590 vs 660. Had a conversation regarding these two Garmins just yesterday. On the 660 if you touch the top 1/4 inch of the Garmin screen on the 660 it will give you turn by turn instructions including time and distance to next turn. My pal cannot get this feature to work on his 590 and swears it will not provide such. Garmin tech support was unable to assist and IIRC they told him that feature does not exist on the 590. Can you verify this for me. I consider this to be a serious shortcoming on the 590 if that is the case

+1 on Azgman's comment regarding adding internal Micro SD. [Works for me]

Thanks

Studley

tweedy-bunch