Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Slingshot demo  (Read 4926 times)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Slingshot demo
« on: June 23, 2015, 02:58:09 pm »
Today at 10:00 I go across town for a demo ride (?) on the Slingshot.  More of a drive I suppose.  Not that I'm really interested in a Slingshot, but I never pass up a free demo on almost anything.  I've ridden a Spyder, Indian Chieftain, and probably will go ride a Thunderbird soon.  Call me a freeloader, but most of the time they involve perks like a $100 gift card, or in the case of Triumph, a $35 dealer store credit.  The trick is to sign up on the mfr's website to receive info. and future announcements by e-mail when new models are being promoted and sometimes they send you interesting proposals.  At least it makes the day more interesting, and there have never been any hard sell tactics employed so far, I think because these are mfr. reps at the demos and they consider the sales  side the dealer's responsiblility.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Slingshot demo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:01:21 pm »
I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.  Not that I would consider owning one. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:06:40 pm »
Love those free demo rides too.  Haven't gotten comp'ed for any of them yet, but I did manage to get in on an invitational only test ride of the Diavel at the Sugar Land airport.

The Slingshot does look interesting, though it is a "motorcycle" only in DOT's classification.  Other than the ability of get on the HOV lane, I'd just as soon buy a Miata, if I were interested in an open top driving experience, which I am not.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:35:19 pm »
Texas has had no classification for them and they could not be here until recent legislation that classified them as an "Autocar", which means no motorcycle license required.  There has been a demo at this dealer since December, but they could not even take orders for them until now.  As for the Slingshot.
1. It rides a lot, yes a LOT better than you would expect.
2. It drives like a sports car, corners like it's on rails.
3. It's quieter in the cockpit than you would think - which leads to number 4
4. It's a little warm in the cockpit because there is no lower ventilation - probably wouldn't be     so bad if not for the dealer's helmet requirement.
5. Even with TC on you can break the rear wheel loose without much effort, and when you do it is very easy to control due to the quick steering ratio.
6. It accelarates briskly, not like a rocket, but briskly.  Think 0-60 in 5 secs.
7. It requires "soft hands" like a motorcycle - don't try to steer it like a car or it is very twitchy.  Point it where you want it to go and let the machine handle it on irregular road
surfaces.
8. When you get on the freeway and set the cruise for 70mph it is very composed and surprisingly stable and comfortable, almost like any convertible automobile.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:40:15 pm by trophied »

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:17 pm »
More pictures.

Offline Bobbya

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »
That thing really makes my trophy look the best,awful looking thing,each to their own  I suppose,but not for me.
I am innocent☺!!

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:21:42 pm »
Sounds like a fun toy to have around.

Problem is that it is a $20k toy.  I could pick up a Miata for that price, set it up for AutoX, and have just about as much fun.  And I can actually use it as a real car for more mundane chores too.

Trophy is an expensive toy too, but it does things single-plane ground vehicles cannot.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:08 pm »
Thanks for the feedback trophied.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST