Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: This is the review that sold me on the bike!!  (Read 5222 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
This is the review that sold me on the bike!!
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:55 pm »
This is a youtube review. Although it's for a 2014 TTSE, He says the same things that others have said and he compares it to the bmw 1200 and 1600.

He doesn't like all the buttons/switches, but you get used to them. I did. He thought the brakes were week and require more than 2 finger breaking.. really...  I think the brakes work really well after the Harley Classic I had. I couldn't believe how quickly it stopped.

Praises power, handling - just like everyone else. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUS7SCLN9rU

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
Re: This is the review that sold me on the bike!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »
I watched the video:

He sounds like a Beemer guy who is afraid to admit the Trophy is better.   :001:

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 02:32:31 am »
*Originally Posted by triucati [+]
I watched the video:

He sounds like a Beemer guy who is afraid to admit the Trophy is better.   :001:
It seemed to me he had a lot of complaints about the TTSE, such as the better brakes on the BMW as well as it being less complicated.

BTW, are you enjoying the +100 °F heat there?

-Don- (in 65°F   SSF, CA)
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:55:57 am »
Apart from some crazy filtering speeds I wonder about his braking technique. For me the back brake on the trophy is a little weak but the front is really powerful and overall I have no complaints. Wouldn't be surprised to see the back brake upgraded in the next model.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
*Originally Posted by davidcumbria [+]
Apart from some crazy filtering speeds I wonder about his braking technique. For me the back brake on the trophy is a little weak but the front is really powerful and overall I have no complaints. Wouldn't be surprised to see the back brake upgraded in the next model.
IMO, the brakes are great on the TTSE. That's because I am used to the very lousy brakes on my 1984 Venture (they were greatly improved in 1986, which does me no good.)

I am a rather slow rider anyway, compared to most people I know and espcally slow compared to triucati.

Others might need much better brakes.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:02:56 pm »
I think the complaint about the brakes is the amount of pressure required to apply them. There is nothing wrong with the brakes. As far as the cluster of switches, I guess it's whatever your used to. Really, how many times in a trip do you access the switches. I can get to almost any menu item blindfolded, bike on or off. If I rode a BMW (I never have), Im sure i'd be a little lost in the switches and menus. I would probably say Gawd these switches are all bullsh.

Overall I think he was really impressed with the Trophy as I am and as you probably are.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over a few comments that are more personal taste than anything really wrong. If you put those aside he is saying that it's a very impressive bike!!

Colin

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
IMO, the brakes are great on the TTSE. That's because I am used to the very lousy brakes on my 1984 Venture (they were greatly improved in 1986, which does me no good.)

I am a rather slow rider anyway, compared to most people I know and espcally slow compared to triucati.

Others might need much better brakes.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Ha!  There are plenty of riders faster than me, and plenty slower than you.  It is all relative; the great thing about motorcycles, no matter the level we all experience the same sensation.  Super fun, and cheating death with a smile on our face.

It is quite warm here these days.  Thank goodness for Alpinestars ventilated mesh gear, and CalSci shorty windshield.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 03:27:22 pm »
I'm used to very powerful brakes on the VFR1200, and I thought the TTSE's binders, while not spectacular, were very linear and easy to modulate.  Lever effort is not excessive either.  Overall, I'm happy with it.  The previous gen RT's brakes didn't have much better feel, but the lighter weight did make hauling down from speed feel a bit quicker.  Haven't tried the latest RT with the radial brakes, which I do expect to outperform the TTSE.

The switch gear works well enough for me.  I've got to admit the latest BMW got it sorted it out better though, and this coming from a company that for decades made owner "get used to" their bikes' controls.  So I gotta give credit where credit is due.  The only thin I don't like with the BMWs is the "wheel".  It works very well, but I have relatively small hands, and that wheel makes all the other controls that much farther away from my left thumb's reach.

The TTSE's control's main controls feel fine to me.  I don't mess with the radio buttons much, so that's a "meh" for me.  Where I think Triumph goofed up is the placement of the cruise control.  It needs to be on the LEFT side, like on most other bikes.  Trying to hold a throttle setting while reaching over to press the "set" button is not a fun exercise for us with girly hands.  :083:  Once in CC, then okay... easy work to modulate the speed up and down.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

tweedy-bunch