Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Suspension Modification Question  (Read 3323 times)

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
Suspension Modification Question
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:29:44 pm »
Hi. I purchased my '13 TTSE used with a suspension modification that apparently lowers the ride, according to my local dealer (Triumph Detroit West in Plymouth). Attached are a few photos that show the dog-bone part apparently made by "Lust Performance".

Anyone on here know what this part does, why it might have been added, and provide input on whether it's worth keeping? My dealer technicians aren't familiar with it and only guessed at what it was. (Of course they're willing to order me a stock part.) 
I'm not strong enough to get the bike up on its center stand, and I suspect it has to do with this part lowering the bike.

:084:  Thoughts?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Suspension Modification Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 08:41:06 pm »
It is indeed a part that has been replaced on the Trophy to lower the overall height of the motorcycle.

Here's a Link to : Lust Lowering Kits for Triumph

There's plenty of information within the Forum about lowering the suspensiion,
just use the "Search" button to search and find it  :169:

Usually the front forks will also be lowered in their clamps - no parts are used for this.

If you are returning the Trophy to Factory Spec and putting the original Links back on,
then your Dealer can check and re-position the Front forks too  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 09:00:51 pm »
It is a very simple job to return it to stock with the factory links, and only requires removing the muffler additionally if the upper bolt on the Lust links was not installed from the left side instead of the right when the modification was done.  As coconut said, the fork tubes may have been raised in the clamps as well and need to be lowered to fit flush with the top clamp (the tube itself, not any portion of the cap), at least that's the way mine were factory set.  I'm surprised the dealer has no idea about this modification, it has been done by a fair number of us vertically challenged riders that the factories fail to acknowledge exist.  If you are not comfortable returning it to stock by all means let the dealer do it for you.  Placing it on the center stand is another issue altogether and more demanding of proper technique than a standard height Trophy requires, although some have even had issues with the factory stock version.  Enjoy the ride, no matter which option you choose.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »
If you are in need of the stocl links sir  I saved mine after installing the soupys adj lowering links,, And yes  once lowered it is damn near impossible without for stong midgets and and a pry bar getting this thing up on the center stand  and I can easily put a loaded goldwing up on the center stand by myself
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
PO of my bike put those Lust lowering links on.  I'm on the fence about putting the stock links back in.  With the OEM low seat on the lower position, I can just about flat foot both sides, which is great, but not exactly necessary for me to feel confident with marking lot maneuvers.   I'm gonna ride it as is for a bit to see if I want to swap them out or not.

BTW, I have no problem getting the bike up on centerstand with those Lust links.  It gets a bit tough with all 3 bags on the bike and loaded with stuff, but doable with my 175 lbs frame (195+ with gear?).  With just the top box (usually empty), which is how I ride, easily done.  Worst case scenario, a small piece of 3/4" plywood to roll the rear tire onto will help tremendously with getting up on center stand.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 10:41:02 pm »
Goldwings are easier to put on the centerstand than even a standard height Trophy, and easier than either BMW I had too.  It's the leverage difference in the design on the Honda.  I wonder why other manufacturers don't just go to a showroom with a tape measure and protractor head on a combination square and find out why.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:07 am »
I just happen to have a shiny new pair of the links sitting in my garage.  If you would like we can set it up to swing by and you can throw them on the bike if you would like to return your bike to stock.  Send me a PM if you are interested and we can set it all up.

By the way I will show ya the easy way to get the bike on the center stand while your here.

It may not be legal but I have a Dr's note!

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:44:44 am »
My '12 TTSE had those Lust Links fitted when I Test Rode it back in December, but the OE Links were in the Tool Roll so I had the Techies re-fit the OE Links before I took delivery in January this year.....and three days later I had the same Techies re-position the Fork Legs as well  :138:

They do make using the Centre-Stand a tad more difficult to use, but not impossible (I'm a 63 year old medium build 180lb specimen...)

The 1" thick piece of ply or similar board under the rear tyre will certainly help with the Centre-Stand operation if the Lowering Lusts have been fitted
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

tweedy-bunch