Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: @$&#@ Bike is in The Shop Again  (Read 15369 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
@$&#@ Bike is in The Shop Again
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:49:22 pm »
So, I rode the bike to work Thursday morning and Thursday afternoon it wouldn't start.  Press the starter and nothing, nada, zip, zilch.  I checked the kill switch and tried to start it in both positions. No go. I put the side stand up in case it was a side stand issue.  Still nothing.  The parking lot has a pretty good slope so I tried to bump start it by rolling down the hill, but it wouldn't catch. The dealer came and and picked it up, but they weren't able to check it over the weekend.

There is a possibility this is mechanic error since I just had the 20K service done on it last week. I am going to be really angry if it's another issue with the length of cable to the right switch gear.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: @$&#@ Bike is in The Shop Again
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:34:44 am »
Well not to be contrary but if it were me I'd rather it be an error by the tech rather than a reflection of the bike's reliability
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 03:29:42 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
So, I rode the bike to work Thursday morning and Thursday afternoon it wouldn't start.  Press the starter and nothing, nada, zip, zilch.  I checked the kill switch and tried to start it in both positions. No go. I put the side stand up in case it was a side stand issue.  Still nothing.  The parking lot has a pretty good slope so I tried to bump start it by rolling down the hill, but it wouldn't catch. The dealer came and and picked it up, but they weren't able to check it over the weekend.

There is a possibility this is mechanic error since I just had the 20K service done on it last week. I am going to be really angry if it's another issue with the length of cable to the right switch gear.
I would say the starter wire broke off as mine did, but that doesn't explain the no start with the bump start (assuming the ignition was on and such!). Sounds like something very simple, such as the battery connection or a bad battery (sometimes they crap out with no advance notice of any type).

I say this because the cranking circuit is very simple and separate and your bike  should either crank or start. Yours does neither, so it makes me think it is something very simple.

One exception is the key immobilizer acting up, which can cause both problems, IIRC, and that can complicate things a bit.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:15:20 am »
Did you get a clicking noise when you tried to start it?

Maybe just the cable coming off the starter solenoid as happened to me!

Can happen surprisingly easily when doing any work around the battery and they would have been during the 20k
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:27:21 am »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
Did you get a clicking noise when you tried to start it?

Maybe just the cable coming off the starter solenoid as happened to me!

Can happen surprisingly easily when doing any work around the battery and they would have been during the 20k
That won't explain why it wouldn't start in gear going down a hill.

-Don-   SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:29:09 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]

Was the display blank?

-Don-  SSF, CA

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 11:29:38 am »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
That won't explain why it wouldn't start in gear going down a hill.

-Don-   SSF, CA

Mine also wouldn't bump start.....it was tried by lots of people pushing me down a slope.... it did not want to know
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 07:20:37 pm »
Everything came on the display except the radio and the TES said there was an error. The radio wouldn't play and since the area that displays the radio settings is where the TES error message is, I couldn't see any audio settings.  The screen came up, but wouldn't park after I turned the key off.

tweedy-bunch