Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: False warnings  (Read 9087 times)

Offline JayKay

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
False warnings
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:49 am »
Hi, just wanted to tell you about my recent electrical issues. Got bike 2nd hand at 1 year old. Ran perfectly for 1 year.
Initial problem was red oil light with "warning. Low oil pressure". Next was Amber temperature light with warning " excessive coolent temperature", even when engine was cold. Radiator fans on permanently.
Engine running rough. No cruise control.
Problem down to large electrical connector underneath alternator. Connector cover not fitted. Connector corroded introducing false sensor readings.
4 weeks to find and fix this fault.
Been OK now for last 3weeks.
Just noticed headlights and instrument panel have slight flicker at idle speed 1100 rpm. No flicker once past 1500 rpm. Any ideas what problem is?

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: False warnings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:29:55 am »
Hope it isn't red.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 03:30:32 am »
*Originally Posted by JayKay [+]
Hi, just wanted to tell you about my recent electrical issues. Got bike 2nd hand at 1 year old. Ran perfectly for 1 year.
Initial problem was red oil light with "warning. Low oil pressure". Next was Amber temperature light with warning " excessive coolent temperature", even when engine was cold. Radiator fans on permanently.
Engine running rough. No cruise control.
Problem down to large electrical connector underneath alternator. Connector cover not fitted. Connector corroded introducing false sensor readings.
4 weeks to find and fix this fault.
Been OK now for last 3weeks.
Just noticed headlights and instrument panel have slight flicker at idle speed 1100 rpm. No flicker once past 1500 rpm. Any ideas what problem is?
I wouldn't worry about it. The TT/TTSE heatlights don't come on until the engine is running so many RPMs and you're probably close to the RPM's where it has to decide between off and on and switches between the two.  You should  never be that low in RPMs when you're actually riding the bike.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:58:45 pm »
Yes, corroded connectors on multi blocks can cause a whole host of seemingly unrelated issues and can often be a bugger to trace. Often once found though, easy to fix.

With regard to the lights I would suggest that needs further investigation.... no flicker whatsoever from mine even at an idle speed of around 1,000 rpm
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:48:04 pm »
The flicker seems likely to be another loose connection?

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
*Originally Posted by gfxmonkey [+]
The flicker seems likely to be another loose connection?
It's unlikely that a loose connection will always fix itself when past 1,500 RPMs.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline JayKay

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:59 pm »
Thanks all, for your replies. Unfortunately, after a trouble free 7 weeks of everyday use, some symptoms are back. Engine running rough and I notice my revs are up at 3,000 rpm when engine started, settling to idle speed after a short time. I now know the bike enough to recognise when something is up.

So rather than pay the garage their hourly rate, I decided to have a look for this ' large connector under the alternator' myself. Found it under LHS fairing, right behind a cylinder. Difficult to get to.

Straight-off I could see that this multi pin connector had a locking bracket on it and it was not in the locked position.  So I guess the connectors are not firmly mated. Cleaned up connector contacts but after some time trying to get the locking bracket into the locked position, I have given up for the night. Something is wrong. It does not want to fit.

So I'll have to use the car tomorrow and have another go at this connector tomorrow night. Will let you know the outcome. Will post some photos.

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 12:08:40 am »
I would say that you are on the right track.
Electrical issues like this will drive most to drink.

Me, I start drinking before I tackle these.
As long as you are at it, it would be good
to check the rest of your connections.

Dielectric grease is your friend

tweedy-bunch