Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Letter from Europe  (Read 11966 times)

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
Letter from Europe
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:12 pm »
Day one hull zeebrugge
Good crossing. No help at all from crew in securing bike and guess what Germans had got all the seat protectors so no change there. Major panic 10 mins before disembarking when my wallet with licence, euros , credit cards went missing. Frantic ship search and requests to information. Turned up hiding under a curtain in cabin. Major heart attack averted.
Day two zeebrugge bouillon Ardennes France 220 miles.
Closed roads, rubbish autoroutes could not dim our spirits. Swept into a viewpoint after 10 hours on the road but dropped the trophy for first time in 11k. It turned down a steep layby setting off and my tired legs weren't up to it. What a weight to recover but ok once bars turned and panniers removed but a two man job. Crash bars did their stuff and just a couple of touch up able pannier scratches. I ve joined the club !
DAy three to baden Baden Black Forest Germany 230 miles.
All going well but the road closures and surface dressing tiresome. Just entering the voges at 1600 when the bike started to slow and rear brake gradually seized on. At this point noticed low rear tyre pressure 26 psi. I wondered if the braking was part of triumph system with low pressure. Don't see how it can be and more likely in advertentently dragging since I raised pedal height. Rac recovery uncontactable no signal . Used my liquorice stick repair kit for the first time and delighted that it worked. Stone had been pushed into narrow central sipe on half worn pr4. Repair got us into baden Baden by 830 hooray !

Day three to  seebach Black Forest 30 miles. Terrible service by triumph Karlsruhe. Drove there at 0930 and asked them to look at rear brake and either fit new tyre or make more permanent repair. Refused point blank to help 'we are too busy'. Letter to triumph being composed. Fortunately bmw dealer fitted correct tyre on the spot. Ahem.
Thought our travails were over with just short hop to seeback. Route was planned on tyre and downloaded to Tom Tom via famous B500. At the top of the mountain we were suddenly directed along a gravel track. No turning round as it plummeted 3 miles down the mountain . Too steep for first gear braking rolled down in neutral on front brake. 20 hair raising minutes in tractor track 2 up and  fully loaded panniers tank bag. Credit to the trophy s low speed manners. Arrived in 35 degrees a sopping mess just right for a beer.

So pretty eventful so far. But no complaints about the mighty trophy.... Sometimes wish I was riding a lighter bike though....
Lake Lucerne Alps and lake Garda await.....

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Letter from Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »
Well if that is just your first few days we have quite a story to look forward too! Take care and enjoy!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:48:22 pm »
Intestingt start. have fun and let us know rest of it goes

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:37:03 pm »
Wow, adventuresome start.  Makes for entertaining reading, if not entertaining riding :156:  Look forward to more "letters from Europe"
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:13 pm »
No real dramas so far then? :164:

Later

Dave

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »
Bet you've `aged' after that start..... :114:  Enjoy the rest of the tour..... :017:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:46 pm »
A normal Cambridge to London commute so far then!!!!! Take care matey and enjoy  :821: :821:

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 09:50:30 pm »
Day 4 Black Forest to passug near chur  Switzerland. Last night was eventful when another uk party arrived at the pension in the middle of a full scale row that had boiled over in the 35 degree heat. Usual keep up versus ride safer routine. one guy stormed off saying he was riding back England that night 800 miles only to return some hours later for a shaking hands stand off. All highly entertaining from our balcony sipping beer and gazing over the mountains.

So today  we took on the amazing b500 in the Black Forest, blasted along autoroutes in 38degree heat, rode along a James bond road beside lake Lucerne and over the fearsome klausen pass. After 11 hours  and 300 miles in sweltering  heat Judith declared I had broken her for future tours but recovered after sucking down the customary amounts of refreshment. Speaking of which a bottle of beer and small water beside lake Lucerne 20 euros. Must get a job at FIFA . Highlight for me was klausen pass except for meeting a bus halfway round blind hairpin who decided my trophy could fit in 3 feet of road with 100 foot drop over the edge. Much maligned trophy brakes did their bit. Couple of sat nav cock ups with waypoint on wrong carriageway resulting in cruising backwards and forwards between junctions in sweltering heat with only 200 miles to go. Come on you know you've done it too.
And after conquering Swiss mountain pass completely knackered at end of day only had to cope with 1 in 4 10 foot wide single track hairpins to reach our crows nest hotel at 8 pm. Anyone to meet us. Nope. Any food drink nope. Just walk a mile down this 1 in 4 hill to find our associate restaurant and then back up. So we did.

Great bike, great holiday. Mini Stelvio  pass to bormio tomorrow. Piece of cake if I make it out of the hotel drive. :002:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:55:10 pm by davidcumbria »

tweedy-bunch