Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Getting back on!  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Eftan

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200
  • City / Town: nelson
Getting back on!
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:44 am »
just a post about returning to ride after an unpleasant off.
I met with a diesel oil puddle on a roundabout. My pillion and I landed with a hard bump. I have significant soft tissue harm to knee and shoulder, pillion a bruised knee ( hooray for armour!)
Bike taking three and half k to mend....
My head keeps saying I should take this as a warning and no more riding, my heart wants back on asap.

Pillion understandably put off ( her second trip)
Anyone else have experienced similar and what did they do to get back on?
A daemon is for life not just Hallowe'en

Offline Spudly

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Batley
Re: Getting back on!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:19:17 am »
My advice, is,jump back on ASAP and put it behind you,I had a very close call in Italy recently ,but due to being 1500 miles from home and the bike being still rideable,chose to carry on and try to put it behind me,it did cause a sleepless night but after a day or two, confidence and pleasure in riding returned and am now enjoying my riding as much as ever.lifes short. Live it.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:23:00 am »
Well I had an accident where I was hit by a large car and put into intensive care for four days. I didn't let that deter me as I got back on the bike as soon as I could repair it even though I was still on crutches. Made for a curious sight I'm sure, a fellow with a full length cast with crutches strapped to the bike.  Certainly had to make sure I could stop so my left leg was able to support the bike.  As I look back it seems foolish but at the tender age of 22 we all think we are invulnerable. 

On the other extreme you may want to ask Coconut.  He had a spill and as a result  gave up riding but he remains a valued contributor to his Forum. 

You know the old saying about getting back  on the horse.  That remains my advice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:24:39 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Eftan

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200
  • City / Town: nelson
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:40 am »
 :188:Thankyou for your input. My main problem is not wanting to put pillions at risk, I pretty sure I want to get back on asap.
The accident was unavoidable so feel I can do nothing to avoid another.
A daemon is for life not just Hallowe'en

Offline Byrdock

• Trophy Member
  • Byrdock
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Angier,NC
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 02:49:56 am »
I went down in 2010. Broke 6 ribs, my pelvis in 3 places and c2 vertebrae. Have no memory of the wreck or the month I spent in the hospital, but couldn't wait to get better so I could ride again. My pillion broke her femur and latter decided she would never ride again. I loved it too much and she was to worried about it. People die every day in cars and trucks but most people don't think about it.
In 2011 I went down when a driver pulled out in front of me (didn't see me until I hit him) and shattered my collar bone. My first ride after my first accident lasted about 8 minutes. Everybody said it was a sign to get rid of my bikes. My pillion said it was the bikes or her! I'm still riding because I still enjoy it.

So you just have to decide if you're going to miss riding. When it's your time to go, there's nothing you can do about it. So enjoy it while you can!!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 03:48:05 am »
*Originally Posted by Eftan [+]
:188:Thankyou for your input. My main problem is not wanting to put pillions at risk, I pretty sure I want to get back on asap.
The accident was unavoidable so feel I can do nothing to avoid another.

You truly believe there was nothing you could have done to avoid that slick spot, or have it cause you to go down?

IMO there are very few unavoidable wrecks.  Drunks, and Deer that run into you because they are unpredictable.

Check out 'street strategies' by David Hough.  It can help you recognise hazards and provides ways to avoid them.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 05:28:47 am »
In my opinion you need to learn from history and use it to make you an even better rider for the future.

Yes you will be uncertain at first, especially when it comes to taking a pillion, but caution is no bad thing. Don't rush to take that pillion until you have that confidence back.

For me when I had an accident in the past the bike was a write off at the scene but fortunately I had few physical injuries myself. The only way home for me was to jump on the back of my partners bike to pillion home!

Yes, it was a while before I took a pillion again myself, not that I had one at the time.
But I do take them now and couldn't be without my bike.

Recover and then get out there as soon as you are fit. Short, solo rides to remind you of the joys and freedom of biking!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:54 am »
My off left  me with a written off Trophy, nut nothing physically damaged apart from a slightly sore left knee !

Thank heavens for Armoured clothing, decent Helmet and R & G "Adventure" Bars.

I haven't ridden since, partly to appease Family Members that worry about me,
but not helped at all by the fact that I lost my elder Brother to a motorcycle crash several years ago,
where I had to deal with the aftermath, and during my spill I knew exactly what went through his mind
in the moments before his life ende.  I thought the same was happening to me,
and while I won't discuss in any more details - it was SCARY  :005:

I originally said, "Never Again", but I do really miss it, so you just never know !  :028:

Take care,