Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Tires Didn't Hold Up Too Well At Deals Gap  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
New Tires Didn't Hold Up Too Well At Deals Gap
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:17:28 pm »
Today was the first chance I've had to go over the bike since getting back from Deals Gap and my Smoky Mountain riding trip. It looks like the new Pirelli Diablo tires didn't hold up too well. The out side edges of the rear tire looks like I've been riding on a cheese grater. Center of the tire looks good. its almost like the tires outer edges are made of a different compound compared to the center tread area of the tire. Either that or the tires were working real hard to maintain traction in the twisties. Most of the road surfaces were smooth asphalt and I've never experienced this on any of the other bikes that I've run up there. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
Re: New Tires Didn't Hold Up Too Well At Deals Gap
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:39:15 pm »
Are you joking around?  Looks like you had fun on the dragon!   

Take a look at this explanation.
http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 11:35:08 pm »
Are you joking around?  Looks like you had fun on the dragon!

Unfortunately for me I'm not. I'm 55 years old, I don't ride like a 20 year old on track day. Yes, I had a great time as usual and I was with very experienced riders. I was riding with my Goldwing friends, and one who was on an Ultra Classic. I don't think we were setting any records on 129, the Cherohala Skyway, Wayah Rd or any of the other nice roads with these bikes in our little group. I'm sure I had my moments when I was out and about by myself, but nothing too extreme. Once I get my video edited down, I'll post it here, looks very much like normal riding. I've had several other bikes on 129 in years past, including a Bonneville, Sprint, and a Goldwing Gl1800, never any tire issues. So I'll ask again if anyone has had any issues with Pirelli tires? I wont be buying them anymore, I can actually peel rubber off the edges with my fingers nails. Hard rubber where the tread is, but soft near the edges. That's an interesting article, according to the photo, looks like my tires were under inflated, but they were not.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:44:26 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:56:58 pm »
I have Angel Pirelli tires, and I have noticed slippage, particularly when applying generous throttle coming out of a curve or after a turn. It's not unusual for the TC light to blink and the engine to cut back a bit.

The first two times this happened, I thought I had hit an oil patch or something slick on the pavement that my eyes didn't catch, but it happened two times yesterday when I was paying particular attention and looking for a clean exit out of turns, and I'm definitely feeling slippage.

Perhaps the tires aren't warmed up enough (or warmed evenly enough), but sport touring bike tires should not have to be warmed up to be grippy on the sides, or...? I wasn't racing, just gettin on it a bit more than usual. I guess it's the tires? I've never experienced this on my Honda Magna, no matter how hard I hit it out of a corner (the only thing that would happen is forcing a deeper lean angle due to the front end lifting up more). I've always purchased Dunlops or Michelins, the TTSE is the first bike I've had with Pirellis.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:56:50 am »
Mate,

Most tyres these days are dual or multiple compounds providing centre wear and side traction. For the size of the bike you're better off with an A class GT tyre such as Pirelli Angel GT, Michelin PR4GT with the more robust side walls. The Michelin PR4 GT on my bike have just completed ~18,000km of trouble free riding (wet and dry) on various road surfaces.

IMHO Pirelli Dragons are good tyres for lighter sports, sports/tourers.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 08:56:48 am »
Diablos are sports tyres so I would expect them to be worked hard on a bike like the Trophy. Even the GT tyres mentioned above get a work over when attacking the twisties, with the leading edges on the grooves wearing, whch is quite typical on heavier bikes. Pirelli Angel GTs can handle the weight better, while no compromise on grip.

Did the Traction Control kick in at all?

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
The Diablos are a very soft compound tire and what you see is very typical after some hard cornering with them. They really aren't the best tire for a Trophy. Try the Angel GTs (A spec).
Serial BMW rider

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:25 pm »
Hey Zebraranger,  I don't see the wear pattern your photos show as being a problem. IMO I'd say it's normal. I've seen similar wear and worse. Not to diminish your concerns or local riding area but, since your living in Florida with it's lack of twisties I'd say you will likely wear out the center of that tire before you wear out the edges. At the same time I would not hesitate to take that tire on a road trip or ride two up with a load.
Thanks for your post. Better to be safe than sorry.

YMMV

Studley

tweedy-bunch