Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Top end clattering  (Read 2625 times)

Offline stantheman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: wirral
Top end clattering
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:24:01 pm »
Hi guys...ten month old black ttse...2.500 mles...theres probably a posting somewhere about this but..when engine is cold top end clattering between 2 and 3 thousand revs...when engine warm hardly noticeable but...seems to be getting louder as time goes on...went to the local triumph dealer today smiths in Chester....said they can't look at it for 5 weeks!!..but supposed to be going to France in 4 weeks...nothing we can do they said...grrr already looking round at other bikes....please tell me its nothing to worry about😂

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE
  • City / Town: SWFL
Re: Top end clattering
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:50:03 pm »
Stantheman, I can't say it is nothing to worry about, but mine is a 13 and fell under the Vins for a top end change.    When I took it to the dealer for 10000 service I asked their opinion they said yes I would benefit from the new head assembly and they would order the parts.   This was in Oct. of 14.   Told them I was leaving for Florida shortly for the winter and would not be back until April and was taking the bike with me and would it be okay to ride.   They assured me there was not a problem to ride it as much as I wanted.   So I put nearly 4000 miles on it while in FL without issue and had the head changed when I returned in April.   So if it were me I would go on my planned trip.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 12:34:53 am »
G'day Mate,

I have a 2013 TTSE that has its original head. The only 'unusual' noise is associated with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner on initial cold start up. The little bugger, occasionally, sounds like a cricket chirping for five or so minutes. No identifiable top end rattles. Local Triumph service manager and Triumph Australia say it's no issue. Nevertheless I've recorded this in case I have cause to claim a latent defect. The bike itself goes like a dream.

Pretty poor service if the local guys can't/won't look at it for five weeks. Do you have the option to go elsewhere or complain to Triumph?
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline NeoCon

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Electra Glide
  • City / Town: Wirral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »
stantheman. Here's a link to the indie I mentioned when we talked yesterday at Chester HD. Located in Ruthin.

http://www.moto-r.co.uk

Can't do any harm to let them listen to the noise. Bet it won't take 5wks either.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 01:15:02 am »
had a similar issue, cam chain tensioner was replace, now if the engine is hot I get a 'rattle' for 2-3 seconds and that's it.  Head was replaced, made a huge difference in noise, and so did the CT replacement.   The triple still is a bit noisier than most engines I've piloted, but it's a hell of a lot quieter than when I picked her up new.  I put foam pads in my helmet to keep my ears from ringing....  long gone...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:40:34 am »
I've noticed when on a cold start its a little noisy for maybe 2-3 seconds but quickly quiets down. I've got 5,000 miles on it now and just love the bike
Trophy Tom