Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: K1600GTL V Trophy comparison  (Read 18555 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
K1600GTL V Trophy comparison
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:50:12 am »
Hi everyone
Even though I no longer have my Trophy, I still pop on here to see what everyone is up to and have a read on what is happening. It looks like all the issues have been ironed out with the Trophy.

Whilst the Honda CB1300 was reliable, we both missed touring on a comfortable bike so we finally succumbed to another tourer. So after much deliberation and research I went and test rode a BMW K1600GTL (which I subsequently bought).

I thought you would like my opinion of both the BMW and Trophy. I have been as objective as I can be and have ignored any reliability issues that I had with the Trophy. I am aware that perhaps a comparison with the RT1200 would have been better I have not ridden one of those. 

Comfort. I would put sat that they both have their plusses and minuses. Personally, the Trophy gave me more back ache than the BMW does. That said, the BMW seat is not as comfortable as the Trophy’s and I tend to get a little numb after an hours riding. The BMW bars are set slightly further back than the Trophy and are a little more comfortable.

Engines. Both are powerful and smooth. The BMW does however, add extra fun when all 160BHP is used in dynamic mode.

Gearboxes. Without a shadow of a doubt, the Trophy has the better gearbox. The BMW is clunky and yes, you get used to it but on the Trophy It was so much smoother and once rolling I could change gear without use of the clutch. The clutch bite is more positive on the Trophy than the BMW also.

Switches. God how I hated trying to set Cruise control on the Trophy. My fingers are small and I found that I had to release my left hand and operate the cruise control switch on the right hand side. Not the best of situations. The BMW switches are far more intuitive and the menu system better specified.

Weather protection. The Trophy has better weather protection. The BMW has no cover for the hands. That said, there is not a lot in it.

Handling. Whilst both bikes handle really well, the Trophy had a lack of feel at the front end. I remedied this through the purchase of PR3s. The BMW gave me better feel from the front end in my opinion even on the recommended tyres (Metzlers).

Fuel consumption. Again, not a lot in it. The trophy is marginally better. The BMW gets about 50 miles less per tank (worse if the throttle hand is pinned back).

Storage. The Trophy has larger top box. I am not sure about the panniers. I believe they are similar.

Servicing. The Trophy has 10,000 mile servicing, the BMW, 6,000. Full points to Triumph.

Warranty work. I know Triumph always honours its warranty and all components on mine were changed without quibble. From what I understand BMW does the same.

Quality of components. I have added this as I think it is an important point. The quality of all the component on the BMW are, in my opinion, far better than those of the Trophy. The rubbers on the rear pegs on the Trophy for example can break and rotate causing problems for the passenger when mounting and dismounting. The BMW ones have a flat piece of rubber attached and therefore cannot do this.

Cost. It cost me the same to buy a 2 year old K1600GTL as it would to buy a new Trophy. The Trophy is lower on price (maybe this is an unfair comparison given the BMW Is a larger bike).

So given all of this which do I personally prefer? The BMW is my favourite without a doubt. In spite of the poorer fuel economy, shorter servicing periods and slightly clunky gearbox, it is the better bike for me. The quality is better and is worth the extra money.

I think that were I comparing the RT1200 against the Trophy I would say that the Trophy is the better engine but the BMW had the better quality components given what I know.

Don’t flame me for this. I just thought you would like my opinion and comparison.  :002:

Robin
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: K1600GTL V Trophy comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:57:09 am »
Hi Robin,

Good to hear from you  :169:

Nice objective Review - and glad you found something that worked out for you  :028:

Now, where did I put that Flame Thrower  :745:  aah - here it is .....   :178:

Take care,

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:11:52 am »
Hi Robin..... always good to hear a pretty objective comparison.... (Even if the conclusion is wrong! LOL :745:)

But the important thing is that the conclusion is right for you. Stay safe and have fun. See you back on the Trophy for the next gen!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:35:07 am »
I look forward to seeing the next gen Trophy. I hope they get the switches right this time.

George Harrison

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »
Hi Berber!
It's good to hear from you again!

Thanks for the honest review.
There's another area where you could have done a comparison - the sound of the engine.
Having followed a K1600GTL recently ( I let him get in front!) I can say that the engine sounds brilliant! Probably another win for the BMW, although I don't follow many Trophy's so I can't really do a comparison.
You were also very kind not to mention the reliability issue, given the poor experience you had with your Trophy
However, I have formed a deep and probably lasting bond with my Trophy, and cannot think of being without it!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:24 pm »
Hi CoJaw

Yes the K1600 sounds great when you start really opening the throttle!

I have to add that the panniers on the BMW slip on and off with ease and are so much slicker than the Trophys. The topbox however is a pain as you have to unplug it and undo it from inside the topbox.

Another thing. The Traction control and the ABS are too eager to cut in on the BMW. I came off the A46 at 70mph, I worked through the box heading to a rounabout and the damned traction control came on for a second. That may not sound like much and it didn't cause any issues but I just thought 'why?'. there was no need to kick in that early.

George Harrison

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:12:01 pm »
Hi Robin,

thanks for taking the trouble to share this unbiased view.

I have ridden with many BMW owners and they appear to have just as many problems as us Trophy owners have had.  I put this down to the "Bean Counters" having more sway than the engineers.  Historically I had BMW over engineering components but I do not believe that to be true anymore.

It is very much a personal thing and what bike works for you is all that matters, once you have found that elusive bike stick with it.

I stuck with Harley Davidson for twenty years and did thousands of miles on them (and in recovery vehicles) riding Japanese bikes showed me what reliability was all about, did 90,000 miles on a GTR with just Gas, Tyres and Oil; oh and wheel bearings!  I have had one major issue with my TTSE in 26,000 miles, new final drive due to oil leak, so I am getting more confident with it.  I try to buy newish, ex demonstrators, and looking to keep a bike for 5 years or 100,000 miles but I have to admit I have been looking at a 2015 TTSE to keep a two year manufacturers warranty.

My choice currently is stick with what I have or the newer ex demonstrator TTSE but I'm definitely wanting to stick with a Trophy, really love it.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45:42 pm »
Excellent review.  Agree on most of the points... except price.  I've looked at gently used K1600's before buying my gently used TTSE.  It would easily cost twice what I paid for my '14 TTSE.  It is a better touring bike, but nowhere near 2X better.  :018:

Still, price isn't the primary decision maker for me.  Fit for purpose is.  If I need a bike to ride cross country on a regular basis, I'll spring for the K1600 for sure.  For now though, I cannot afford to go on extended trips, so the TTSE's lighter weight and better low speed handling fit my riding better.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

tweedy-bunch