Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Tyre pressure warning affecting brakes ?  (Read 5317 times)

• Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro  ‐    320
    • Topic Author

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Blue SE 2014
    • City / Town: South Lakes
    Tyre pressure warning affecting brakes ?
    on: Jul 15, 2015, 10.00 am
    Jul 15, 2015, 10.00 am
    in France recently on a very hot day I felt my bike slowing and noticed the tyre pressure  warning light was on and tyre pressure was 28 psi. I assumed the tyre was deforming and rubbing on the frame so pulled over but then could not move the bike as I discovered the rear brake was seized on. After 10 min it released and I repaired the tyre with a plug. I noticed the rear brake lever was solid and pushed it up so it snapped back into the normal off position and it then operated normally with free movement.

I have been assuming My low tyre pressure and my seized on rear brake were coincidental and the brake seized on because I had inadvertently been riding with my foot on the brake. Having assessed my natural riding position this seems unlikely and more likely the brake stayed on after application and I removed my foot. Did the brakes boil in the heat ?

But in the back ofmy mind I seem to remember seeing another post on here about having the brakes applied involuntarily, possibly some glitch between the tps and abs ? Can't find it but does this ring any bells with anyone ?
    Last Edit: Jul 15, 2015, 10.15 am by davidcumbria

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    522

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Re: Tyre pressure warning affecting brakes ?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2015, 01.47 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 01.47 pm
    I think I remember the post and it ended up being a stone stuck between the brake pedal and another hard part.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline w8d4it   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5340

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Houston Texas
    Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2015, 03.00 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 03.00 pm
    Riding with very  low tire pressure will cause excess heat but I find it hard to believe that such heat will be transferred through the rim all the way to the calipers causing them to seize.  I'd say coincidence unless whatever damaged your tire also impacted your calipers
    Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2001 Sprint 955 ST

• Offline Gordon3xBBB   gb

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    492

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Stroud
    Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2015, 06.37 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 06.37 pm
    .....unless the EMS was being ultra-intuitive and slowing the bike down, because of the reduced tyre pressure, by applying the rear brake.....

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2015, 06.51 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 06.51 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gordon3xBBB [+]
    .....unless the EMS was being ultra-intuitive and slowing the bike down, because of the reduced tyre pressure, by applying the rear brake.....
    Even if the EMS is that draconian, which I doubt it is, I would think controlling TBW and retarding ignition timing would be much more effective than pulling the rear brake.

I think it's likely a coincidence.  28psi is too low to be considered normal pressure, but it's not exactly that low.  I think the brake lever got snagged on some thing.

Somewhat related... if your tire pressure goes so low that the tire itself deforms excessively from the weight of the motorcycle, the ABS will sense the RPM differential between the 2 tires and throw an error.  The engine trouble light will light up and you'll need an OBD2 reader to clear the fault.  Don't ask me how I know.  :083:
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline w8d4it   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5340

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Houston Texas
    Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2015, 07.04 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 07.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by Volfy [+]
    The engine trouble light will light up and you'll need an OBD2 reader to clear the fault.  Don't ask me how I know.  :083:
    Or DealerTool
    Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2001 Sprint 955 ST

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2015, 07.12 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 07.12 pm
    *Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
    Or DealerTool
    Yes.  The Android version of TuneECU supposedly can clear fault codes also.  The cheapie bluetooth ODB2 adapter I have lets TuneECU talks to my TTSE, but it doesn't show the full menu of options.  I'm waiting on an USB OTG cable to arrive to try a direct USB connection to my android phone.  Since this is suppose to be touring rig, I really would like to be able to do this kind of stuff without a laptop.
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro  ‐    320
    • Topic Author

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Blue SE 2014
    • City / Town: South Lakes
    Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2015, 09.37 pm
    Jul 15, 2015, 09.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
    I think I remember the post and it ended up being a stone stuck between the brake pedal and another hard part.

I think this could be it. The puncture was caused by a stone that got into the very thin sipe on the centreline of a pr4 after having the pleasure of being the first vehicle to pass over some freshly laid  1 inch deep surface dressing. Likely a stone also  got kicked up into the mechanism and held the brake  partially on. That's why the lever didn't return. So not a coincidence,  which I fiound hard to believe,but two problems relating from passing through the same extreme environment.

tweedy-bunch