Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Pyrenees trip planned..  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stornoway
Pyrenees trip planned..
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:04 pm »
I'm thinking of a Pyrenees trip and wondering if anyones done similar and has any advice.

What I'm thinking of is the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander then taking a week maybe 10 days to do the Pyrenees and hopefully make a visit to Barcelona. I'm thinking of going mid to late September. I'd like to do more of Spain but won't really have the time just now so probably just sticking to the North..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
Re: Pyrenees trip planned..
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:14:44 pm »
Did that route a few years ago - the Picos mountains just South West of Santander should be on your 'To-Do' list :002:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »
Yes depending on time I'd hope to do that too.
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:27:48 am »
Let me enter in this conversation in order to provide some hints or advice to our friend coming here, to Spain.

First of all, if you will be landing at Santander you shouldn┤t loose the opportunity to pay a visit to the "Parque Nacional de los Picos de Europa" (Peaks of Europe National Park). The "capital" of this region is a lovely village named Potes and is located just 1,5 hours riding from Santander on the southwest. You should overnight there in any of the various Casas Rurales (rural houses) or hotels at a very good price. Do not forget that the standards of the Spanish hotels execeed by far those from the average of the other european countries (with the equivalent number of stars).

The sightseeing of the area and  the food are really worthy, believe me. If you go there you should ride your bike to Fuente De where you can get a wire-cabin that clims to the top of the peaks. No more words, just visit on the internet any page with pictures of "Fuente De cabin".

From there you can travel to Logro˝o, the cadre and crib of Rioja wines. There you have to walk throgh "Laurel Street" and enjoy the tipical Spanish "bares" tasting the best wines and tapas.

From there (and you would be now in your 4th day of the trip) you should expend a day in Pamplona... No additional words needed...if any question just ask to Ernest Heminway...

Then yo can start crossing north and south, south and north the Pyrenees from west to east, nice roads, beautifull sightseeing, good food and affordable prices for wealthy people like you... You need at least three days to reach Barcelona if you want to travel throgh the Pyrenees.

Another two days in Barcelona and come back to Santander via highways.

It is a petty that you can not visit the current heart :156: :156: of Spain: Madrid and its sorroundings like Toledo, Segovia, Cuenca, etc... OK, for your next trip!!!

In any case, believe me that you are going to enjoy your trip a lot and if you need any additional advise or support from Spain.. please let me know.   

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:59 am »
Hey, thanks for the tips! Tell me, what would the temperature be in Picos/Pyrenees end September/October time? Is it likely to rain?
Thanks again.
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:27:23 am »
The temperature is not very low in Northern Spain in SEP/OCT, lets say 05/10║C at night and 15/23║C during mid-day. But you have to take into account that the temperatura can change in 10/15║C when you are moving along the main roads deep in the valleys or when driving on the top of the mountain passes.

Yes, you can expect some rain showers during those 10 days of your trip bot no snow at all. The snow shows up by early December.

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:59:23 pm »
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline Brian Ross

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: St LÚger Magnazeix
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:56 pm »
Our first overseas trip on the bikes was to the same area (note it was pre Triumph Trophy). We decided as a group the rough areas we wanted to visit and so missed the Picos, unfortunately. Logrono was a good first stop. Great for tapas wandering from bar to bar. Loved the small hilltop town of Alquezar where we stayed for 3 nights just relaxing.  I well remember a road sign saying bends for 23 kms on the pass leading to Broto which has a good and very biker friendly hotel. Check out some of the classic Tour de France passes as they are usually good with an engine as well! Col du Tourmalet and Col d'Aspin stick in the memory.

There are photos if you want some ideas of the possibilities at

https://www.facebook.com/brian.m.ross10/media_set?set=a.10150096893804852.318283.574639851&type=3

but truthfully you can't go wrong  :001:

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian