Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tips on pillion mounting, please  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Dave

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sym GTS 300i Evo
  • City / Town: Rotherham
Tips on pillion mounting, please
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
 :187:
Hi,
I am having a test ride next week on The Trophy and my wife is worried that she will not be able to get onto the back, being a large bike, and at 60 she is not as nimble as she was, I was hoping someone out there my have some tips, I was wondering if the side stand would take the weight of a pillion on? If so she may be able to get on the front and using the pegs, nudge onto the back seat.
Would appreciate any advise.
Dave
 :821:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Tips on pillion mounting, please
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
My pillionis older!  But had not problems getting on and off.  The side stand looks strong enough but the bike does seem to lean quite a lot.  The pillion foot pegs are quite large so you can stand on the one (left with left foot) and then it should not be too difficult to stupendous the other done over.

I would say if she got on whilst sitting on the side stand then I would hold the left hand handlebar. 

One trick we used to use was that I would sit on the bike and hold it (stand down for safety sake)and Joan would usemy foot rest as the pillion ones were too high.  The trophy ones are not as high though.

Hope you get on ok as Joan thought the bike nice and comfy and got onwell.  I wore love handles (belt with grips either side for the pillion to hold) but she hardly used them on the trophy.  She just used the two big grab rails.  I will get the top box pillion pad so she can lean back a bit ifshe wants.  It might get in the way of her back protector though.

John

Offline littlemegdog

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1200trophy
  • City / Town: wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
Hi,
I am the pillion rider of littlemegdog and have had some issues in the past - on and off a BMW GSA.  But with the Trophy, my hubby just sits on the bike, I put one hand on his shoulder, left foot on left footrest and swing the other leg over the seat.  I managed this easily even with boxes and top box on.  Once on the bike I could just sit and relax and enjoy!  The grab rails are great and the top box ensures I don't fall off the back!

Offline Dave

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
 :158:
Hi there,
Thanks for all your comments they are very helpful, they have given my wife some reassurance, and yes I have not thought of using the riders peg, they are usually a bit lower than the pillion, we use the side stand at the moment, it dose hold her weight, but I do also try to support the bike, just in case.
Glad to hear that your wives use the grab rails, I keep on to my wife to use them, it wasn't until I had to break quite hard on one occasion and she nearly pushed me onto the handlebars, it was quite scary, she now realises the importance of holding onto them.

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
Hi Dave,

My wife is 66 years young and she uses the pillion footpeg to mount while I'm seated, she puts her hand on my shoulder left foot on footpeg and swings her leg over, with boxes and top box. When she dismounts she uses my footpeg and holds the end of the bars while I'm seated, swings her right leg back over the seat. She never uses anything in the way of grab handles, back rests all she does is is sit there with her hands on her thighs and grips with her knees when necessary (as she has done all our biking life from the '60's on my first '59 Triumph T110) and I don't hang about either, never know she's there really.

Offline Dave

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
 :158:
I am what they call "A born again biker" Up until 5 years ago I hadn't road a bike since 1965 and that was the Triumph Bonneville T120, my first was the Tiger cub.
My wife has never been on the back of any bike so you can imagine my surprise when we brought a motorhome and I said,  jokingly, lets buy a motorbike and put on the back, and I was gobsmacked when she said OK, and she loves it, and she is a natural, I don't know she is there, we have road most of Europe, and now she can't wait to get on a proper bike, and the Trophy ticks all the boxes. Providing she can get on.
Thanks for all your comments

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:55 AM »
If most of us were a bit younger, we might have made something else of this whole thread about pillion mounting. Careful, Dave.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
My fiancee (I can say that now but not a couple of weeks ago) places her left hand on my shoulder and her left foot on the rear peg. Now she is not a little girl (if you know what I mean) but she has learnt to lean her weight over the bike.  She stands up then cocks her leg ove and sits.

Works for us although, if she slips, I have a heart attack as I manage the bike until she is settled.  :005:
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch