Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: touring screen  (Read 3451 times)

Offline aquitaine

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy sexycrnt
  • City / Town: leics
touring screen
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:19 am »
hi.just rode back from cadwell park 2 hours in the rain .as any one found any thing to use on the touring screen to help keep the rain off or to help it run off better .thanks for any help/info

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: touring screen
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:45:37 am »
Hi Aquitaine,

I think I was riding in the same rain!

You have hit upon the 'Holy Grail' for motorcyclists of how to see in the wet.

I use Rain (Coat), it is a water repellent coating that you apply with a damp sponge then polish off when dry.  This makes the water form small droplets and fly off in the wind, I also use it on my visor.  It does work but you have to remember to do it as when you wash your bike the coating is removed.

I have also used RainX in the past but I think that works on glass, like a car wind screen.

A motorcycle buddy uses Mr.Sheen a furniture polish and he says that works.

Really looking forward to hearing all the solutions from the experts on this forum.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:02:36 pm »
I"m no longer a member on the K1600 forum, but perhaps Berber can search that forum for us if he reads this thread and find the comments on products for this purpose.  I do remember that some are specifically NOT approved for use on plastics, I just don't remember which ones.  The issue as I recall is that some of the compounds cause aging or yellowing of plastic windscreens and visors depending on the type of plastic material.  I'll look around to see if there is something specific about it.  I never use anything but soap and water wash and Plexus if the windshield is dry, but Cal Sci has a homemade cleaner recipe for their windshield that works OK and is cheap to make.  Plexus has gotten very expensive - ouch!  Most motorcycle windshields are made from GE Lexan (which has been sold off to a Saudi Arabian company), and some are made from acrylic (which is not DOT approved in the US for windshields unless it is impact modified) which is easily shattered.

From the Cal-Sci website for cleaning their impact modified acrylic windshields:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid
1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)
2 cups = 500ml water
We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

If you don't want to play home chemist, go to WalMart and buy a gallon of Peak Windshield Cleaner (blue), about $1, and a gallon of Peak Bug Remover / RainX (green), about $1.50. Mix them 50-50 and use that on your motorcycle and in your car.

Lexan is used by some mfr's due to it's durability, but usually is only made by people that make plastic due to the complications with removing the water content from it before putting a coating on it for windshield use.  Do not use ammonia cleaners on Lexan!

HOPE this helps some.  If not there is plenty of info out there on the internet of things.  :008:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:07:27 pm by trophied »
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:27 pm »
I use lemon pledge polish.  Reapply at every fill up.  Also use it on my faceshield.  I always look over the shield on my bikes.  The concours shield would create a downdraft when the shield was at the right height, and that downdraft would blow the rain off my faceshield.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »
+1 on the lemon pledge. I take it a step further and use the cheap store brand from Wal-Mart. Works great on the painted surfaces as well. Been using it on my bike windshields for years with good results and no adverse affects. To each his own, but I rather spend my money on gasoline to ride with.  :028: Oh yeah, if you have a heavy layer of bugs, buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for a buck and spray it on the bugs before washing. It works.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:55:36 am »
This has been discussed before here : Rain repellant on windshield and helmet visors

Be very careful when selecting products to use on acryllic winshields /visors etc.

Products that are marketed for use on GLASS windscreens
may contain chemicals that can discolour plastic / acrylic screens
and / or make the plastic go brittle and prone to cracking  :005:

Unless the label on the bottle specifically states that it CAN be used on
plastic / acrylic screens , then it's probably best to avoid them  :028:

tweedy-bunch