Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO : Remove Fuel Tank and Change Air Filter  (Read 21085 times)

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: HOW TO : Remove Fuel Tank and Change Air Filter
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2019, 05:08:47 PM »
Hey David, just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post your comprehensive How To. It proved invaluable this weekend when I did the deep dive to access the ground wire under the tank. I appreciate it much.

Studley

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2019, 11:07:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
I noticed the plastic connector on the other end of the pipe funny enough, I did think why doesn't the manual say to disconnect the tank there?
I'm assuming that it's not 'welded' but I didn't force anything just in case it broke in my hand.

Although this post is almost a year old, I thought I might provide some insight. I changed my air cleaner using the original instructions, and per David’s direction, added some fuel and fired her up after re-installing the tank, and before fixing the bodywork. Lucky I did, as I was greeted with a fine spray of gasoline from the banjo fitting when I energized the key.

After checking with the closest Triumph Dealer, I was advised by their Master Technician that he always uses the quick-coupler to disconnect the fuel line so he doesn’t have to replace the crush washers. Aha! Replacement crush washers have been ordered. As a side note, it seemed like whoever assembled my Trophy definitely had eaten had Wheaties for breakfast before securing that banjo bolt...

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »
The same person that does that connection also "gorilla fists" the shifter and brake pivot bolts. :745:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp [+]
Although this post is almost a year old, I thought I might provide some insight. I changed my air cleaner using the original instructions, and per David’s direction, added some fuel and fired her up after re-installing the tank, and before fixing the bodywork. Lucky I did, as I was greeted with a fine spray of gasoline from the banjo fitting when I energized the key.

After checking with the closest Triumph Dealer, I was advised by their Master Technician that he always uses the quick-coupler to disconnect the fuel line so he doesn’t have to replace the crush washers. Aha! Replacement crush washers have been ordered. As a side note, it seemed like whoever assembled my Trophy definitely had eaten had Wheaties for breakfast before securing that banjo bolt...

Are you saying that that connection is indeed a quick-coupler or that that Master Technician may have fitted one to a Trophy at some point??

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
I was told that it’s a quick coupler by design, which is interesting, given the fact that Triumphs own Shop Manual recommends removing the banjo bolt. The Technician insisted that he never removes the banjo bolt when pulling the fuel tank.

Now that my tank is already removed, I might check how easy it is to release that quick coupler when I get the chance. I will report back...

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
Don't know if I miss a post, but I always disconnect the fuel tank here without any issues, in fact I have never touched the other side of the hose.

Did my last 10k miles service a couple of weeks ago and everything was nice and proper, except for the reset adaptation. Every time I do the reset adaptation, the cruise control is turn off and the corresponding error code is display. Not a big deal, I just follow the procedure to turn it on again and enjoy the next 10k miles.
An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
IBA #60953

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »
Thank you for confirmation of what I had been told, Lemuriano!  :821:

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2019, 07:06:06 PM »
Very interesting hey chaps,...yes, please report back, any pictures/info on how to actually get it apart would be great too, I did have a quick squeeze, pull, push myself but what with having large hands, I didn't feel any movement so gave up in fear of breaking it. Strange that the workshop manual doesn't mention it.