No idle no start by Coconut
[Today at 06:01:44 pm]

Triumph Accessory Installation Instructions by Saddle Tramp
[Today at 05:19:10 pm]

Road Trip Advice by trophied
[Today at 04:11:21 pm]

clutch...and RPM by STJIM
[Today at 01:14:15 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Don't you just love a good product report.  (Read 7348 times)

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Don't you just love a good product report.
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:01:58 am »
I hope to have one next week. We have had our Trophy for 19 months and 26,000 trouble free miles. First big bike we have had that we have left stock because it was comfy enough as is and we have had a lot of bikes in 40 years. Only mods we have are an Airhawk R cushion on my seat which is in the high position and Navy Mom has an Alaska sheepskin on her pillion perch. The only reason we need to stop is an empty tank or full bladder.

Now for the fly in the ointment, more of a gnat really because it is not a major issue just an issue. My wife gets buffeted a bit when I have the windshield in MY sweet spot. I have two cousins (riding family) one with a ST1300 the other has an FJ1300 and they have V-Stream shields. Their wives ride pillion and like the shields a lot. Since NM rides with me at least 80% of the time I have purchased a V-Stream which I will install tomorrow. I bought the sport/tour model which is the middle one because it is closest to the size of the stock shield. I don't want a taller shield because I look over the shield. Installation and then probably close to a 500 mile weekend so I will give my two cents soon. Stay tuned

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Don't you just love a good product report.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:08:45 am »
That will be a great evaluation of the V Stream!  :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:45 am »
I had been firmly in the looking over the shield camp but found that from a noise and buffeting point of view for both rider and pillion particularly at higher speeds looking through the screen was better. Like wearing earplugs after a bit of re acclimatisation eventually you just forget that it's there meanwhile enjoying a very quiet relaxing ride. Still use the superb electrical adjustment to lower  in towns or when raining.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:26:43 am by davidcumbria »

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:33:28 am »
The screen on my TTSE is perfect for me and as I do not usually have a pillion then its all fine.

I did however have issues on my last bike a Kawasaki GTR (Concours) and dutifully bought a larger touring screen but in my 90,000 miles of ownership managed to break two movement mechanisms.  So my cautionary tale is when these screens are raised whilst traveling along at 70mph there are some massive forces at work.  You try holding a big bit of plexi-glass in the wind and see what I mean! :156:

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Scottsdale
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:58 pm »
I'm very curious about the V-stream.  I currently have the Calsci on my TTSE.  It was a great improvement for buffeting and wind management in general.  I can keep the windshield in a lower position and still have a good wind pocket compared to the factory shield.  The hole at the bottom seems to alleviate back pressure considerably making the bike much more stable in gusty conditions.  If you never swap out the factory shield you would not realize how much better the buffeting can be in gusty conditions.
I have 2 complaints about the Calsci.  Customer service is not very good and the shield is not very clear.  I have an Optic Armor on my Goldwing which is like looking through air.  The Calsci is hazy.  When riding into setting sun it's difficult to see through.
I'd be interested in hearing about the clarity, wind management and pillions opinion of the V-Stream. 

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:08:17 pm »
Installation Day.
 What is included in the box is one very well protected windshield, six new rubber washers, two new plastic washers, and very clear instructions. The rubber washers go on before the shield just like the stock setup. The plastic washers are a bit thicker than the stock ones and that is because the V-Stream is thinner material than the stock shield, about 20 thousandths thinner according to my micrometers. The second photo shows the new shield lying over the old shield so you can compare the difference in shape, notice the V-Stream is straight across the top. One thing that the photo does not show is the stock shield at the top center is about 2 inches off the blanket and the V-Stream in closer to 6. Much more curve to the V-Stream.

Installation is a straight forward ten minute job, no issues and fitment is spot on. One thing I did for giggles was to measure the two shields in the upper and lower positions. Placing the end of   my tape measure on the ignition switch and measuring up to the top center edge of the shields I got as follows; Stock shield down was 15 ½ inches. Stock shield up was 21 ½ inches. V-Stream down was 16 ¾ inches and V-Stream up was 22 ¾ inches. The top of the V-Stream also sits farther from your face due to the curve, about 4 inches further.

Clarity of the shield is great, better be because it’s new huh? The only distortion is where the shield bends to form the V. This is down along the mounts and does not affect the field of vision. If your vision is focused in this spot for long you’re going to be in trouble.

I need to go to Parkersburg, WV tomorrow and that is a 200 mile, mostly highway roundtrip for me. It will be a solo run so I will give my two cents on the shield. Saturday will be the day of reckoning when Navy Mom and I hit the road for the day. The purpose of this shield is to try to get her a bit more still air. Saturday will be what tells the story. Stay Tuned.

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 11:28:40 pm »
*Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
The screen on my TTSE is perfect for me and as I do not usually have a pillion then its all fine.

I did however have issues on my last bike a Kawasaki GTR (Concours) and dutifully bought a larger touring screen but in my 90,000 miles of ownership managed to break two movement mechanisms.  So my cautionary tale is when these screens are raised whilst traveling along at 70mph there are some massive forces at work.  You try holding a big bit of plexi-glass in the wind and see what I mean! :156:

Later

Dave
Very good words dave,im also very impressed you ride a 2103 model bike, how is hover mode?? 😜😜😜
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 04:25:52 am »
150 miles on the V-Stream today with Navy Mom riding pillion. I could not ride freeway speeds with the stock shield all the way down. The blast hit just under my chin and tried to lift my helmet. The V-Stream blast hits just at the top of my helmet with the shield down. I can raise it just a bit and get clean air and look over the edge which is what I wanted. This can be a double edge sword since dropping the shield to get a blast of air on a hot day will not work as well with the V-Stream. The V-Stream really helps with the buffeting that occurs when riding behind a large vehicle, doesn't eliminate it entirely but is a substantial improvement. I trailed a couple of large trucks just to test this theory. Navy Mom said that she had a smoother ride with less buffeting and I could tell by the lack of wind noise coming through the intercom. She claims listening to music or to me rambling on the intercom was much better with the V-Stream. The claims of back pressure being eliminated are not entirely true on the TT. Back pressure is about the same as stock which for me was not an issue. Just thought I would mention it because some of the reviews make that claim and it may be true on some bikes. Will the V-Stream stay on our TT? Yes. It does what we wanted which was give calmer air to Navy Mom. Negatives? May block too much air on a hot day. Seemed to be bothered by crosswinds more than the stocker. The V-Stream does not interfere with the radio antennae or my handlebar mounted mirrors. For NM and I it gets  :028:

tweedy-bunch