Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear differential Crush washers are on backorder  (Read 13677 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
Rear differential Crush washers are on backorder
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »
That means my dealer would have either serviced my bike without putting new crush washers on, or held the bike until they came in.  Unfortunately, I am thinking the former which is why I do my own maintenance. 

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Rear differential Crush washers are on backorder
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:05 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. At what kind of mileage should I be looking at cush washers being replaced, please and thanks

Studley

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »
Good thing I tend to order everything related to lubricant changes a half dozen at a time.   :008:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 01:26:15 pm »
Just ordered maintenance supplies from Bikebandit along with a service manual.  Now realize that my local dealer is inflating prices because bikebandit isn't discounting prices. 

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 03:41:09 pm »
Yeah some dealers do that.  Gives the whole system a bad rep.  I'm lucky with my brother being a dealer.  I only pay cost and shipping.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »
I don't know how carefully dealers monitor their inventory, but when I worked for a manufacturer parts sales had to go through someone in mfg. to determine if selling one or more would jeopardize production or delivery of new equipment.  I would hope parts departments would hold "x" number of a consumable part for their service departments so the dealer is not subject to some sort of liability issue if a re-used part (crush washer) leaked.  There could be tow truck pickup, extended mileage pick up and delivery, and all sorts of other costs involved if it was their fault.  Then again, we hear all manner of stories about dealers, and not just Triumph.  If you are a member of any other forums you see it.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 04:48:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by twowheeladdict [+]
That means my dealer would have either serviced my bike without putting new crush washers on, or held the bike until they came in.  Unfortunately, I am thinking the former which is why I do my own maintenance.
The only way to be sure any job was done to your own satisfaction is to do it yourself.

The main objective of any dealer is to make money. The main objective of owners is to do the job correctly.

However, in most cases, I don't think reusing a crush washer is such  a big deal.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 05:29:35 pm »
Two points of solace
1) if re-use does cause a problem you will see it quickly in lube weep
2) if you have to remove and replace the job is easy and the oil and new washer cheap (although you may have to go to another dealer.)

Also in a pinch the washer for the oil sump may work.  It is slightly different in size and is a different material but as I say may work on a temporary basis.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch